Kanemichi gunto with cloth tag

Hello. I bought this gunto, and have it partially translated by japaneses friends, but they all miss much of the meaning.

I found it has been made by Kanemichi, that it carries a tag with a sale price of 600 Yens, which is approx 5-6 times the price of a regular gunto during WW2. That it was made in Seki province. That's all my friends have been able to make out, but it's more to translate they said.

If someone can help, I would greatly appreciate.

post-2042-14196780967882_thumb.jpg

here is all i got

the 1st line, 「高知市越前町四十四」is an address.

高知(KOCHI) is one of SHIKOKU in Japan and 高知市越前町(Kochi-city Echizen-machi) is actually still there.

And, the 2nd line, 「上田 修一郎」is his name, called 'Ueda Shuichiro'.

The 3rd line, 「軍刀(GUNTO)」means a saber.

「一口一振」means same thing.

And 4th line is the price 600yen

The 5th line, 「記念品(KINENHIN)」 means a souvenir.

高知市越前町四十四     高知市越前町四十四

上田 修一郎        上田 修一郎 

軍刀(昭和刀)       一口一振(昭和刀)

時價 315        買價 600円?

(応?記念品) 

would like to know whats with the date side.

應上田氏需鍛之 (Ueda-shi no motome ni ouji kore o kitau) – Responding to Mr. Ueda’s order (I) forged this.

紀元二千六百一年 (Kigen 2601 nen) = 1941

Thank you Koichi san

even with the sho stamp id have to think sp order/forged blades should have a closer look at the work. Chris are this still showato?

If it has a showa stamp, it is a showa-to.....It may have been forged but was not traditional in either the materials, process, or both....

Thank you Koichi san

even with the sho stamp id have to think sp order/forged blades should have a closer look at the work. Should have been are these? sorry

According to the books I have it's a Seki stamp, I'll shoot close up pic tonight. And the blade looks really great quality compared to the 3 others guntos I own. It's a very long and heavy blade. Anything special I could picture to show you?

Thanks, Arnaud

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..