Update**added hamon pics and closeups

This was a gamble from an online listing. Basically said he bought an abandoned house full of junk and this sword was in it. He didnt think it was real. I am very excited to say it is indeed real. But I do not know if it is gendaito, or shinshinto. The sword had been sitting in a basement in a scabbard for at least 35 years. The saya split, and the kissaki unfortunately has deep rust, but I do not believe it is through the skin stell. the rest of the blades is amazing, but there is little patina or rust on the nakago. Here is the mei, I cannot scan this blade because it is huge. Will try to borrow a camera to show you the amazing hamon.

Thank you all so much.

007-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

my scaner has a preview that i can crop to just what is being scaned.

sending a PM about your jumping in with both feet and arms and wallet

lol I am done buying for now. just made all these purchases in a short timeframe. gotta hold it now. but you can not pass on a full size katana for less than dinner and a movie.

Jason,

Don't jump to conclusions just yet. As Stephen said, once you get to know WW2 swords pretty well, these "chippy" mei stand out like crazy. Although we could be wrong of course, I am betting that we aren't, and this is a standard wartime blade.

Brian

Edit: Ah..I see Grey agrees.

This is a WWII blade and looks like showa era 'civilian' tsuba. This if Koichi San or Morita San may disagree, but I think this is a seki tosho smith Ishihara Yoshisada (石原義定). He is listed on Dr. Stein's site (http://home.earthlink.net/~ttstein/seki.htm) about a third of the way down the page.

Jason,

I more thoroughly read you post and find this interesting:

no stamps, definately tamahagane, and the most beautiful hamon

How can you tell that this is tamahagane by the hamon? You must have unparalleled insight as from my understanding it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between tamahagane and other steel without tests destructive to the blade. I am joking with you, but a hamon isn't going to tell you if the blade is tamahagane. :D

I guess I was saying more of a pattern to the steel used in the blade. not that roadway steel look. oil quenched type. Maybe not tamahagane, but i believe that is what the swordsmiths were using that were not finishing machine made blades.

I also must be blind because I am not seeing the smith u mentioned on the list. I believe u he is there just not seeing that name.

Best I can get without a camera. But it doesnt do the hamon justice. Found the term for whats in the hamon Nioi kuzure. apparently seen in mt fuji hamons. and this looks alot like mt fuji type hamon that is in the connoisseur's, with the kuzure in it. page 100 for referance.

nakago yasurime is takanoha

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

I may be wrong on the name, since lining these up with kanji on computer is tough for me, but that's relatively irrelevant. If the yasurime didn't tell you it was seki tosho, the combination of that plus hamon sure did - it's definitely sanbon-sugi. If you really like this type of sword (Seki showa period blades), you are going to have a field day, since these are relatively easy to find. Just go to any militaria show and you should be able to find at least a dozen.

Do you think this is gendai? Can you say why? Too tough to see any nie or nioi in the scan, so it looks at first blush to be showato.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..