Konuka?

Keith,

I encline to say Itame though I had an hesitation, that's the problem with these Macro Pictures.

Todd, you must tell me how you did them, they are very good indeed. Scanned or pictured? and if with camera, which lens?

Jean;

With blade in hand there is no discernable pattern; ie. burl/woodgrain/straight grain, hence my confusion. It simple appears as a uniform homogenous mass, as seen in photos.

It is a most pleasant effect.

The photos were shot with an (antiquated) Canon "Powershot" G6 (which has a "macro/super macro" feature) and a halogen reading lamp.

I assure you, if I can figure this stuff out (at my age and loathing of change), anyone can.

As I just emailed Jean in connection with something else...when I need a macro shot, I also go back to an old digital camera (Sony Cybershot S-50 in this case) instead of my more modern Canon digital SLR. I often find that the old resolution of 2.1-5 MP is perfectly fine for online use, and these old cameras seem to have a good macro ability. So those looking for good close-up shots, haul out that old camera and give it a try. They can be had for so cheap too, and most have a macro setting that is fine even when hand held.

Brian

Is 23rd Kanefusa the Showa-period Kanefusa?

I think of Konuka as what I see in the photos below.

FWIW, I took the 2nd pic with a 10MP Canon SLR under orange light. I prefer larger MP and then zoom in later when I crop the photo. Probably same result as nice macro function but at least I can claim to be a photog snob with SLR! :rotfl:

post-951-14196780594623_thumb.jpg

post-951-1419678059582_thumb.jpg

I've a Seki Kanehide gendaito with similar hada. The effect is not as pronounced as this blade however.

Interesting. I own a star stamped Kanehide and was thinking the posted pics did seem similar. Some areas of mine have a pronounced "grain" that I would call itame, but to my untrained eye the majority seemed to be grainless. Interesting to see this example confirmed as itame.

So much to learn.

Cheers

"konuka hada" is usually reserved for describing the hada seen in Hizen-to, which is dense, tightly packed and covered in ji-nie and chikei such that it looks like rice bran...It is quite distinct and once you have seen it in a well polished blade you won't forget it....

It is very unusual to see any visible hada in a 23 dai Kanefusa gunto. The fact that it is only discernible when photographed with a macro lens means that it is most likely best described as "ko-itame, muji-fu"...

As seen in this photo, Kanefusa was a very capable smith. Unfortunately nearly all we see of his work are the factory made gunto of low quality. In truth, he was a very good smith who rarely, during the war years, made the time to make a traditional blade. I have seen umpteen dozens of the factory made blades but only one or two special order, traditionally made blades. Those few were very well made.....Another problem is the rather poor polish most of these Seki blades received. Some can be surprising with a proper polish.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..