New Polisher Experience

SwordGuyJoe

I also don't agree with Louis that only polishers can judge a polish.

The most humbling experience in my years of nihonto study was attending a lecture about polishing by a fully trained Japanese polisher at one of our study group meetings. In fact, the lecture was so mind opening that following the long lecture, which included the topic of shaping the kissaki btw, I gladly paid for an additional private session, where at the polisher's suggestion we concentrated specifically on how to properly look at a sword. As a result of those lessons, I can not see how it's possible to begin judging a sword without also judging its polish at the same time. While there are certain particulars of a polish that require specific focus to see, there are some polishing details that seemingly jump right out. Another strong influence in this respect is when having studied the work of numerous excellent polishers, some side by side, the eye/memory simply develops a recognition for certain things. Judgment of polish should be one of the key factors in buying, selling, or restoring a sword, and in sword appreciation.

Agreed Guido, there are almost always exceptions to many rules, but a polisher that is trained will notice more about a polish than a non polisher in my opinion.

and then some, and that's an understatement! Plus, will add the qualifier of an excellent polisher will see much more than just another polisher.

I also don't agree with Louis that only polishers can judge a polish.

The most humbling experience in my years of nihonto study was attending a lecture about polishing by a fully trained Japanese polisher at one of our study group meetings. In fact, the lecture was so mind opening that following the long lecture, which included the topic of shaping the kissaki btw, I gladly paid for an additional private session, where at the polisher's suggestion we concentrated specifically on how to properly look at a sword. As a result of those lessons, I can not see how it's possible to begin judging a sword without also judging its polish at the same time. While there are certain particulars of a polish that require specific focus to see, there are some polishing details that seemingly jump right out. Another strong influence in this respect is when having studied the work of numerous excellent polishers, some side by side, the eye/memory simply develops a recognition for certain things. Judgment of polish should be one of the key factors in buying, selling, or restoring a sword, and in sword appreciation.

Franco, that sounds like a great experience, you are fortunate.

I was at the same session. I waited 9 years to get to the top of that polisher's list and he had the blade for 5 years 8 months. I got the blade back last week in San Francisco. Although the wait was exceptionally long the polish is outstanding!

If you have a great sword you want a great polisher. I have had other blades polished in the last few years. All received good polishes but this one is a great polish. You need to see the swords in hand to recognize the differences among them. Looking good from far is soemtimes far from looking good.

I was at the same session. I waited 9 years to get to the top of that polisher's list and he had the blade for 5 years 8 months. I got the blade back last week in San Francisco. Although the wait was exceptionally long the polish is outstanding!

If you have a great sword you want a great polisher. I have had other blades polished in the last few years. All received good polishes but this one is a great polish. You need to see the swords in hand to recognize the differences among them. Looking good from far is soemtimes far from looking good.

I don't doubt it is an awesome polish Barry, his work is outstanding.

For several years I spent a three day holiday in Nagano with a top polisher, habaki-shi, and saya-shi. We always spent a day at Miyairi Kei's home, which was also the forge of his father, the Ningen Kokuho tosho Miyairi Akihira. On one occasion, there were three polishers in total at Miyairi san's home, one a mukansa, two probably future mukansa and all former students of Ono Kokei (deceased Ningen Kokuho). In front of us were 6-7 blades made by Miyairi san that had been polished by each of these togi. For several hours they each analyzed the pros and cons of each polish, discussing why they had done what they had done, comparing and contrasting each blade. Much like Franco's experience, it was mind boggling to see the inner workings of a master togi's craft. After that afternoon I realized the chasm that exists between amateurs and professionals and how the judgment of a polish is no simple matter, and certainly something impossible to judge from photos.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..