Japaneese WW2 Gunto research.

Greetings,

I have recently began researching a Gunto I inherited from my grandfather who served in the Marines during the WW2 Pacific campaign. He was in many historical battles including Iwo.

Parts of the Gunto seems to be unique. More specifically the Tsuba. the menuki's and translation on the stamp on the tang. Any help in pulling some history from these would be great!

If the pictures are to big for uploading they can be found here.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... f4fc020650

not a gunto per se

maybe late war civilian mount do to the leather Ito on tsuka due to shortages, older blade signed Sagami Ju Yukimitsu. Big name might have been added to to take to war. Menuki are very interesting, sure would like to see better pix of them. If you cant post pix you can email them to me and ill post them.

dont forget to sign off with your name.

This sword is signed Sagami no Ju Yukimitsu, 相模住行光 I see Stephen answered already. This sword should be checked by experts in hand. I see tsuba wear on the nakago and a good patina. It could be faked, but...?? It may not be Masamune Den if that applies to his father, but, I can't say for or against. I checked the one oshigata in Fujishiro's and the mei is clearly different and the mitsu nanori is especially written different as well he used Soshu not Sagami in his mei. Went through some other books and can not find a smith that signed in this fashion. John

Ray's Gunto.jpg

And thank you as well for the reply. I think the possibility of it being faked is small as granddad told me the sword was taken during one of the 4th division marine pacific island campaigns. Unless the Japanese were faking tang stamps. As I mentioned to Steven I will send him some better clear close ups when I get home.

Thanks again and you guys rock!

Ray

(please sign your post)

not fake as fake sword, the very big names of swordsmith's have been copied, like Picasso, Van Gogh ect. it will take a in hand by pros to tell. Sword show in Chi town end of this month and one with shinsa in SF in Aug.

This has been very helpful information. It sounds to me like the bottom line is to get this in a professionals hand for inspection and certification.

And in August that opportunity might present itself as I live in the SF Bay Area and can attend the show mentioned.

I will take some more pictures and post them and look forward to more correspondence. I sense a high degree of professionalism here...;)

Would it worthwhile getting the blade polished? (Professionally of course). It can surely use it. It even has bone nicks still. Honestly this sword sat idle since my grand dad returned home from the war and has never left the saya until a few years ago.

Ray

a good togi will let you know if can take a polish, id ask Bob Benson or Jon Bowhay, others as well at the show. The Shinsa could tell you for sure if its the Yukimitsu, i like to error on the side of being wrong that its not a shoshin mei.

Gentlemen

Were I a betting man I would say this is almost certainly sue-koto. I say this because of the style and positioning of the mei which is very similar to a sword I have recently seen in the UK by Soshu Hirotsugu (nidai I think) and it hasth little to do with the famous Yukimitsu associated with Masamune. My opinion, for what it is worth, I will be interested what the SF shinsa says as I do intend to be there.

Clive Sinclaire

And thank you as well for the reply. I think the possibility of it being faked is small as granddad told me the sword was taken during one of the 4th division marine pacific island campaigns. Unless the Japanese were faking tang stamps. As I mentioned to Steven I will send him some better clear close ups when I get home.

Ray, the Japanese have been faking signatures on weapons, armor,etc for a very long time, so you can get a sword that is an authentic antique that had a fake signature from the day it was made several hundred years ago. It was the equivalent of wearing fake designer items in our times I would say.

Good morning.

There are some high res pics I posted here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xxlotus8xx ... 719267187/

Most likely I will register for the SF show today and look forward to finding out more details and history of the sword.

Also remember I am a complete novice in this subject matter and a lot of the references I don't understand. So just remember there are children in the room...;)

Ray, the Japanese have been faking signatures on weapons, armor,etc for a very long time, so you can get a sword that is an authentic antique that had a fake signature from the day it was made several hundred years ago. It was the equivalent of wearing fake designer items in our times I would say.

It seems to me that it was no small task hundreds of years ago to forge a sword and especially a sword that would stand up to the test of time. Why on earth would someone go through all this effort just to sign with someone else's name?

And being that the swordsmiths and lineages are well documented it also seems like there was no excess of swordsmiths.

It seems to me that it was no small task hundreds of years ago to forge a sword and especially a sword that would stand up to the test of time. Why on earth would someone go through all this effort just to sign with someone else's name?

And being that the swordsmiths and lineages are well documented it also seems like there was no excess of swordsmiths.

Ray, I can think of one good reason....profit....a big name gets more money....peoples motives have not changed much its the same today. The seller makes more money for selling a product with a famous name.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys....

I have passed the point of no return. I am completely obsessed in history and research in Japanese sword and sword history. As well as Japanese political history because I see they are all intertwined. and have already made some significant investment in books and such. And really...thanks!!! I found the inspiration here on this message board and a rewarding hobby this is becoming!

• 3 weeks later...

Ray,

Another reason they were faked is because it was prestigious to own a sword by a high ranked smith. And considered rude back then to question if a high ranked person's sword had a fake signature.

Jamie

Yes I agree. I have done quite a bit of research and I read that somewhere as well.

For the blade to be in THAT good of condition if it did date to Soshu Yukimitsu swordsmithing would be nothing short of a miracle (but one can always hope).

However the outcome of the Mei authentication my overall curiosity over the subject has provided a wonderful hobby to pursue.

And I look forward to the SF Shinsa coming next month!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..