An Interesting 8 Monme Tanegashima

I would like to relate an interesting story regarding an 8 monme Tanegashima that I purchased in Canada in May of 1989, as the story of this gun is almost as interesting as the gun itself. It was my first Japanese Matchlock, and I was quite thrilled. It was in lovely condition and quite heavy at 12 pounds. On dis-assembly I found as I had hoped that the barrel was signed. I noted too that the stock was also signed, and even the inside of the lock bore a distinctive Kakihan. The top of the barrel was covered in nunome - zogan inlay. From the rear sight forward to the front sight, the barrel was inlaid in silver with gold highlights of Wisteria leaves and flowers. Behind the rear sight were inlaid two Mon. One easily recognizable as the Paulownia mon of the Shogun. The second mon I did not recognize, nor could I find it in any of the few reference books I owned at the time. I did know that during the late Edo period it was not un-common to find two mon on an item, and consequently assumed it was the mon of someone associated by relation, or in the employ of the Shogunal Government.

Being a bit of a red neck ( and proud of it ), ... I figured go right to the top. I therefore wrote Tokugawa Yoshinobu, Museum Director, Tokugawa Museum, Nagoya, Japan ... sending him a physical description and a couple of rather poor polaroid photos along with a rubbing of the signature, and a hand written facsimile of the stock kanji, and a drawing of the kakihan on the lock plate.

Imagine my surprise to be asked to meet with a Mr. Toyozo Sato a curator of the museum. He was to be in Montreal in August ( a mere 1136 miles by air from where I live ). This of course at the time was quite impossible for me both financially and time wise. I wrote Mr. Sato and he translated the signatures and agreed the second mon was most likely closely associated with the Tokugawa, and would have been the actual owner of the firearm. He of course was most gratious in his letter and indicated his great disappointment that we could not meet so that he might examine the firearm.

For the next few years I simply enjoyed the gun and did manage to obtain a couple of good 35mm photos of the gun and mon. On a business trip to Europe in March of 1993 my wife and I were in London, and took in a side trip to visit Gray's Mews down on Davies Street to take in the various Antique Stalls. It was here that we happened upon a dealer in Japanese Swords and accessories. After a nice visit, I showed him the photos of the Tanegashima. He immediately asked to buy the gun, and upon being advised that it was not for sale, he became absolutely hysterical, .... demanding that he would buy the gun and fly over to Canada to pick it up. When I again declined to sell, he became verbally abusive, and both my wife and I decided to leave. Believe it or not, ... I still do not but my wife assures me it happened, ... he started chasing after us ( we were actually running at this point ) down Davies Street heading for the Bond Street Tube, our Japanese dealer in hot pursuit cursing us for being in possession of an artifact that according to him belonged in Japan and not Canada.

It was not until we arrived home some weeks later that I started some serious research into the second mon. It was through personal communications and a decent book on mon that I discovered the second mon belonged to none other than Ii Naosuke the Shogun's strongman who signed the treaty with Harris of the USA, along with other treaties opening the doors of Japan to the West, ... and who was later assassinated in 1860 while on his way to visit the Shogun. A painting of the assassination can be found in the book ... Samurai Warriors by Stephen Turnbull ... pages 151 - 153 ( note the mon on the sleves of Ii's bodyguards ).

Did this gun actually belong to the " Tairo " Ii Naosuke, ... or did some enterprising artisan add the two mon, plus the other inlaid embellishment to aid in a sale ?? I do not know. It all looks quite original to the gun, and I am told ( private communications ) that after the fall of the Shogunate the Ii family fell on hard times, and many personal belongings were sold off to junk dealers and Europeans. Whatever the case may be it is a very high quality gun. Here are photos and specifications for those interested.

Kunitomo 8 Monme Tanegashima

Signature of Barrel Maker : Goshu Kunitomo Tobeh Ateyoshi

Signature of Stock Maker : Kwase Kitaro Masayoshi

Kakihan of Lock Maker : UNKNOWN

Barrel Length ..... 28 3/4 inches

Barrel shape : Tapered round with flat top with bubulous 8 sided muzzle

Caliber : .625 inch ( 8 monme )

Decoration : Nunome - Zogan in silver and gold

Lock : Double inside spring with three trigger adjustments

OA length of gun : 39 inches

Weight of gun : 12 pounds

Condition : Excellent working order / would be safe to fire

Respectfully posted for the enjoyment and study of our NMB members, ...... Ron Watson

Ron, What a fascinating story and what a nice gun. The barrel is Kunitomo of course, as I suspect is the stock and lock. I once had the pleasure of meeting Dr Sato and he was most kind and helpful. As for the dealer in Gray's Mews, I am appalled. Now to the heraldry on the gun. The first kamon is the 3-5 kirimon used by everyone and his brother, the second appears to be a combination of two of the kamon used by the Ii family of Hikone. They normally seem to have used the 'well curb' on its own - in their museum in Hikone is the big red banner carried at Seki ga Hara that has this kamon in gold. Inside this is the tachibana kamon used by the family (because I'm decorating my study I have books all over the house and cannot get to the one I wanted to look at concerning the Ii family kamon so I'm having to work from memory - please forgive me). Ii Naomasa was one of Tokugawa Ieyasu's Shi Tenno and hence the family enjoyed a special status throughout the Edo period. I am not sure that the family had to sell of much during the Meiji period. Hikone Museum has all the armours, swords and every thing else for most if not all of the generations of daimyo. I think it was there where I was shown a set of 13 inro, made so that the daimyo could wear a different one each month (lunar calendar). Once I get sorted, I will search for my book with the heraldry for Naosuke.

Ian Bottomley

Nice teppo Ron.

I also have a kunitomo gun. The stock is signed Masatoshi (see below). Perhaps a comtemporary of your Masayoshi.

I have read that Kunitomo guns weren't very good quality. Sakai, Hizen, Awa, etc were better. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

post-81-14196778466334_thumb.jpg

Dear Justin,

The Kunitomo were by far the largest suppliers of firearms during the Edo period. Generally they made exceptional firearms. When faced with a huge order for supplying cheap guns for equipping Ashigaru ( untrained foot soldiers ), .... they supposedly turned out some very poor quality firearms, .... sometimes refered to as " noodle guns ". These are not often encountered as they were soon discarded and few survive today. .... Ron Watson

thank you Mr. Watson, for the fine pix and story. you always delight. anything more you want to share from your collection, please, anytime!

unfortunately, your posts, and several others, have now got me interested in more than a passing fashion in Japanese firearms [pre-1876 for now]. i must now increase my hobby budget by 20% just to cover the cost of the books i must get to really enjoy this aspect of nihonto. they are still considered nihonto, yes?

thank you again.

doug e

Dear Ian,

Between the assassination of Ii Naosuke in March 1860, and the Tokugawa's final capitulation in 1869, the Ii family were somewhat shielded from the forces supporting the Meiji restoration. Remembering that most Daimyo had favoured the continual isolation of Japan, and it being the Tairo ( Ii Naosuke ) who had signed on the dotted line so to speak, .... the family was indeed shunned. In the confusion that followed with the eventual restoration of the Meiji and the end of the Tokugawa, ... it was only through the benevolence of the new Restoration Government that the Tokugawa and those like the Ii family survived at all. It was remarakable that many of these disidents eventually became part of the government. It is my understanding that for awhile at least in the interval of all this upheavel that the Ii family were made to suffer a great deal. The whole of Japanese Politics at this time is most confusing, ... as I'm sure you would agree.

..... Ron Watson

...have now got me interested in more than a passing fashion in Japanese firearms.....they are still considered nihonto, yes?

Doug,

Umm..err...well, since the word Nihonto literally means Japanese sword, then no...they aren't considered Nihonto. :badgrin: :glee:

But yes, they have a definite place here, and fall under the same licencing system as swords in Japan.

Brian

Dear Ian,

I finally found the article pertinent to my statement that the Ii Family suffered after his assassination, ... " After Ii Naosuke's death the Ii family was disgraced for many years, recently however Ii's actions have been looked at in a more favourable light and Ii Naosuke has taken his place as one of the most important political figures of Japanese history. On October 7, 2009, Naotake Ii, a family descendant of Naosuke attended a memorial ceremony with the people of Fukui to reconcile the execution of Hashimoto Sanai ". ...... Kyodo News, " Fukui, Hikone `reconcile` over 1859 beheading ", Japan Times, October 8, 2009.

.... Ron Watson

Ron, I fully accept that the Ii may well have been disgraced. My point was that a visit to Hikone Museum suggests they didn't have to sell much to keep alive. I have now found the book I was looking for (Eiyu tasa no Kamon). Even better I have found the second kamon on your gun where it is described as Nichiren shuu tachibana. Sadly it doesn't give any other information as far as I can see. Well well! Looks as if it may not have anything to do with the Ii after all.

Ian

Interesting about the kamon. The well head, izutsu is used by the Ii clan since Ii is 井伊, which uses the 'i' kanji 井 The Nichiren Shuu Tachibana 日蓮宗橘 Nichiren Sect Mandarin Orange Blossom, I must say I hadn't heard before. I would have thought it would be the lotus flower, 蓮 which is what I took it for. John

John, I was a bit surprised myself. I did check the kanji and that is what it says - Nichiren religion tachibana. Having said that, I couldn't find any Ii related material in which the well-head and tachibana were used in combination, only separately. What I need to do now is see if I can find any Nichiren reference with that kamon or a Nichiren adherent who used the 3-5 kirimon.

Ian

You can find an explanation of the link between the Ii and Nichiren here:

http://www.harimaya.com/kamon/column/igeta.html

if you can find some good translation software.

The signature on the barrel would seem to read 'Mitsutoshi' according to my list here.

The Kakihan looks like Shoho. The last character -ho is the same as the last character in the signature in the stock, (On yomi vs Kun yomi) and this stock signature can also be read with the same sound Shoho. (Incidentally, the top name should read 'Kawase')

This gun has a good feel, symmetry and balance to it.

PS According to the gunsmiths of Kunitomo, who wanted to put down their rivals in Hino nearby, it was the Hino guns that were described as 'Udon-bari' (noodle-pastry-rolled) guns.

Dear Members,

If someone could PM me a translation of the following article. I would be most appreciative. When I try all I get is illegible code. You can e-mail me at : watsonr@mts.net http://www.harimaya.com/kamon/column/igeta.html I apologize for the inconvenience, ... but I would really like to be able to read this article. Thank you, ... Ron Watson

Just this much is the essence:

日蓮宗の寺紋は「井桁に橘」として知られるが、宗祖の日蓮上人が井伊氏の支流という伝説から取り入れられたものという。そのもととなったのは、井伊家中興の祖で徳川家康の四天王の一人であった井伊直政が日蓮宗に帰依したことにある。日蓮上人が井伊氏から出たとするのは後世の付会であろう。

Not perfect, but from: Babel fish http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

Parallel crosses/well curb crest

It changed from the wooden uniting of the terrestrial part of the well,

It is known as the crest of one person well Italy direct government of Tokugawa Ieyasu four Tenno.

Small parallel crosses

In circle well curb

In parallel crosses chrysanthemum

The part or the wooden uniting which has appeared in the ground of the well is called the well curb or the parallel crosses. The well was the important place which praises the water, polluting, was the place where is not good. In other words, it is thought that it reached the point where it is used from the fact that it is essential to life, as the house crest. In addition, also simple clear thing of the letter, “well” probably is suitable in the crest of the samurai.

Natural shape of the letter of the well those which raise “the well curb” and corner are called “the parallel crosses”. In any case being something which translates into design the letter “of the well”, the Inoue Sakai Hanai scene well Ishii and the like houses have used. It is something which just displays the name letter.

As an old record, the fact that “Bunsho description (Bunsho first year =1466 formation)” the worth normal Osamu's who is the Asakura heavily retainer child, the hardware of the gold and silver which inlays the parallel crosses of the house crest in the arms of thousand chrysanthemum circles is used, is something which is recorded. The crest of the worth person the parallel crosses has been visible even in the “knowledge house crests'. In addition the Ishii Nagai crest is recorded in the house crests, any Nagai things are the design which places the parallel crosses in Agemaki. Furthermore the well Italy of the river house crest shows spirit distantly with “the letter crest of the well” of the writing body.

“The letter crest of the well Italy well” was changed into the geometric well curb crest afterwards. The well Italy house appeared distantly from the river national Inasa well group Italy 荘, but as for that ancestor/founder have the legend that it is it was born from the well. The well Italy 荘 it was close to the Hamana lake, there being a name well, the person utilized in many. Simply it was called “the well”, but because you call the good well, it became “[ii]” and you say that the well Italy letter was applied.

At the time of a certain, the conversion person who holds a child appeared from in this well, put the orange on the side of a child and disappeared. The flamen of the well valley Yawata shrine was surprised to the tearful voice of the baby, raised carefully as a God giving. You say that this is the well Italy ancestor, the house crest is the origin which is made “the orange in the parallel crosses”. Dividing with the orange and the parallel crosses into two, it used afterwards as the respective house crest. Furthermore, the orange attaching the circle, has become “the orange in the circle”.

The temple crest of the Nichiren sect as is known “in the parallel crosses the orange”, but you call the thing which is adopted from the legend, the person on Nichiren of the sect ancestor/founder well Italy tributary. As for having become the cause, the well Italy direct government which four Tenno of Ieyasu's Tokugawa is one person with the ancestor/founder of interest in the well Italy house has been converted to the Nichiren sect. What we assume that the person on Nichiren came out of well Italy, probably is attaching meeting of future.

There was with a scene well person and Nagai in the samurai who uses the parallel crosses. These both houses had done at the adoption looking together with the worth Takeda's servant. In other words, the younger brother good fortune righteousness of scene well 昌 length, became Yosinari's Nagai adopted child. Commemorating this, piling up the letter “of the well” of both houses, as for the scene well person when “you piled up and parallel crosses” Nagai made the “group parallel crosses” it conveys.

In addition, there is a crest which is called “to the parallel crosses the chrysanthemum”. It is known as the direct retainer of the shogun Natume's crest after that it is something which also Souseki Meiji master writer Natume uses with the 裔. But, as for the parallel crosses part of this crest originally being something which expresses the fence, “籬 ([magaki]) the chrysanthemum” is correct. The 籬 was simplified, being complicated, from the fact that it is difficult to draw, gradually finally became “the parallel crosses”. You probably can call the story which displays the phase where where the house crest keeps changing.

Google's Version

Curb / crest Izutsu

井戸の地上部分の木組みから転じた、 From the ground portion of the well turned wooden frame,

徳川家康四天王の一人井伊直政の紋として知られる。 Known as one of the Four crest of Tokugawa Ieyasu, Masashi Tadashi Ii.

細井桁 Hosoi digit

丸に井筒 Round Izutsu

井桁に菊 Chrysanthemum curb

井戸の地上に出ている部分、あるいはその木組みを井筒、あるいは井桁と呼んでいる。 Out of the ground portion of the well, the half-timbered or its Izutsu, are called or curb. 井戸は水をたたえた大切な場所であり、汚してはいけないところであった。 Well water is an important place tidy, but it was not dirty. つまり、生活に欠かせないことから、家紋として用いられるようになったと考えられる。 In other words, that can not live without, now considered to be used as a crest. また、「井」という字の単純明快なことも武家の紋にふさわしかったのであろう。 The "well" deserved to be the crest of the warrior character that is simple and clean also.

井の字の正体を「井筒」、隅を立てたものを「井桁」と呼んでいる。 The identity of the character well. "Izutsu", which set a corner to "curb" is called. いずれにしろ「井」の字を図案化したもので、井上・酒井・花井・駒井・石井などの諸家が用いている。 Anyway, "Well," which was a stylized character that used lesions by Inoue Sakai and Hanai, Komai Ishii. まさに名字を現わしたものである。 Which just showed up last name.

古い記録としては、朝倉氏の重臣であった甲斐常治の子、千菊丸の武具に家紋の井桁をちりばめた金銀の金物を用いるということが「文正記(文正元年=1466成立)」に記されたものである。 As the old record, was the son of Kai Tsuneharu Asakura's senior statesman, that the use of metal studded with gold and silver armor菊丸1000 to curb the crest, "Aya Masaki (Akira Aya-approved first year 1466)" The記which was. 甲斐氏の紋は「見聞諸家紋』にも井桁とみえている。また諸家紋には石井・長井氏の紋が記され、長井氏のものは総角のなかに井桁を据えた意匠である。さらに遠江の井伊氏の家紋は筆記体の「井の字紋」で勢いを見せている。 Kai's crest is "』 observation that various family crest to curb Apparently. The crest is also noted various Ishii Nagai's crest, which Mr Nagai is among the総角design and laid the curb. More Ii's crest of the cursive Toutoumi "well shaped crest," is showing momentum.

井伊氏の「井の字紋」はのちに幾何学的な井筒紋に替えられた。 Ii's "well shaped crest" was replacing the geometric Izutsu crest later. 井伊家は遠江国引佐郡井伊荘から発祥したが、その祖は井戸から生まれたという伝説をもている。 Ii family that originated from countries Inasachō Villa Ii Toutoumi county, the father is the face of a legend was born from a well. 井伊荘は浜名湖に近く、名井があって、多くに人が利用した。 Ii Villa is close to Lake Hamana, there was a name well, many people are using. たんに「井」とよばれていたが、良い井戸というので「イイ」となり井伊の字をあてたのだという。 Liked the "well" had been called, well I say good, "Ii" he said addressing the character Nearby Ii.

あるとき、この井中より一子を抱いた化人が現われ、橘を一子のわきに置いて姿を消した。 At one time, holding a child of one person appears from this井中disappeared one child put aside Tachibana. 井谷八幡宮の神主は、赤ん坊の泣き声に驚き、神授として大切に育てた。 Itani Hachiman Shinto priest was surprised to hear a baby cry, grown in importance as a divine right. これが井伊氏の祖先であり、家紋を「井桁に橘」とした由来であるという。 Ii is said that this ancestor, the crest, "Tachibana to curb" and that it is derived. のちには、橘と井桁とを二つに分けてそれぞれ家紋として用いた。 Later, each divided into two for a family crest, and curb and Tachibana. さらに橘は丸を付けて「丸に橘」となっている。 With more Tachibana Maru, "Tachibana Maru" has become.

日蓮宗の寺紋は「井桁に橘」として知られるが、宗祖の日蓮上人が井伊氏の支流という伝説から取り入れられたものという。 Nichiren sect temple crest is "to curb Tachibana" As is known, are taken from a legend that a branch of the founder Nichiren Shonin's Ii. そのもととなったのは、井伊家中興の祖で徳川家康の四天王の一人であった井伊直政が日蓮宗に帰依したことにある。 The original was so, that devotion to Nichiren in the Masa Tadashi Ii Four of Tokugawa Ieyasu was one of the founder of家中興Ii. 日蓮上人が井伊氏から出たとするのは後世の付会であろう。 Ii he had gone out to Nichiren Shonin will add to posterity.

井桁を用いた武家に駒井氏と長井氏とがあった。 Mr. Nagai was a warrior for Mr. Komai curb. この両家はともに甲斐武田の家臣で養子縁組みをしていた。 These families had servants on adoption of both Kai Takeda. つまり、駒井昌長の弟吉正が、長井吉成の養子となったのである。 That is, the length Komai Masa Masa Yoshi brother, and was adopted by Nagai Yoshinari. これを記念して両家の「井」の字を重ねて、駒井氏は「重ね井桁」長井氏は「組井桁」にしたのだと伝える。 To celebrate this the two families, "Well," repeated the words of Mr. Komai the "curb repeated" Nagai said. "Curb sets," and he was telling.

また、「井桁に菊」という紋がある。 The "curb chrysanthemum" There is a crest. 旗本夏目氏の紋として知られ、その後裔で明治の文豪夏目漱石も用いたものである。 Natsume's crest Hatamoto known, is also for the descendants of the Meiji writer Natsume Soseki. しかし、この紋の井桁部分は本来垣根を表現したもので「籬(マガキ)に菊」が正しい。 However, the portion of the curb This is a representation of a crest original fence "fence (Crassostrea gigas), chrysanthemum" is correct. 籬は複雑で描きにくかったことから、次第に簡略化され、とうとう「井桁」になってしまった。 Complex and difficult to draw from the fence, was gradually simplified, at last, "curb" became. 家紋が変化していく一面を現した話といえよう。 Appeared to one side and could say about the changing the crest.

To all the members who took the time to post a translation, .... A BIG THANK YOU ! I finally got my system to do a translation ( GOOGLE ). I wish I were as adept at running these computers as you guys. Hell even my 8 year old grandson is better than I, which is just a bit embarassing !

... Ron Watson

Maybe I'm lost, not all that uncommon, but I have a question...

Why would there be a Nichiren Shu mon on this Tokugawa supported weapon? The Tokugawa Shogunate persecuted the Nichiren Shu sect, up to and including, removing the noses and ears of the head priest and some of this followers, and putting many of them in exile.

Makes it all the more strange for me. Maybe I am missing something.

Justin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..