***** Happy with your sale? Want to contribute? *****

Brian

This section is a free service to the Nihonto community. I have no plans to change that, so please don't see this as a change of anything.

We have a great success rate here, with sales and wanted adverts. Although hits don't mean a lot, we are getting more than 2 million hits per month, from more than 38 countries. Over 900 visits (not hits) per day. And less junk than eBay from mostly trusted sellers and buyers.

I run this site with the once yearly raffle, that goes most of the way to pay the bills. But this is not easy since Paypal refuses to allow raffles, and getting prizes to run the raffle is a difficult process. We'll have to find a way to run the next one.

Now I am not proposing any changes at all, and this is not an appeal for funds. We have the bills mostly covered by the last raffle. What I am doing with this post is merely mentioning that should someone be happy with their sale, and wish to contribute a tiny amount, then I would like to provide a means to do so. These funds would also go towards purchasing better prizes for the next raffle, and there are a few contributors that really deserve a gift too. I would like to do more, and your contributions are what makes this possible.

Therefore, as before, everything remains free. I am not soliciting contributions. I don't want a flood of guilt donations either. It is merely a mention that anyone who makes money from the site, and wishes to give some back, now has a way to do it. A few regular members in the past have donated a percentage of a sale to the forum, and asked not to be mentioned. They have my sincere thanks, as does anyone who chooses to give back.

That is all for now. There is a Paypal donate button at the very top right of the forum if anyone would like to donate. I am also able to now accept credit card payments through a payment gateway I am working with. If anyone would like to use a credit card to contribute, please drop me an email to brian (at) nihontomessageboard.com and I'll forward the instructions. This is a safe and secure payment gateway.

• Like 7

• 3 years later...

Not an appeal for funds, but in the past I had a few people mention that they do not, or will not, use Paypal.

I have now secured a credit card processing facility that will process credit cards for me. Fees for withdrawl are about 6% but that isn't far from Paypal's fees.

So if anyone would like to donate, and do not wish to you use the Paypal link at the top right of the forum, please drop me an email to brian (at) nihontomessageboard.com and I will send you the request or check out the page below.

I am trying to set up a page to facilitate this, and although it is far from complete...it should be functional at http://www.militaria.co.za/donations.html

Donations via CC must be in South African Rands which can be converted at that page.

As mentioned, this is not an appeal for donations. But for those who wish to, credit card is now an option. This method is safe and secure and through a reputable company. I think it will be very useful for the end of the year raffle, should we receive enough donated prizes.

Thanks to those that contribute, you have my gratitude :)

Brian

• 8 months later...

Just an update for anyone wishing to contribute that does not want to use Paypal..

I have just been informed by my credit card processing service that they have removed the necessity to create a Payfast account. Payments can be done without registering, and using most credit cards. Can be accessed via this page: http://www.militaria.co.za/donations.html

Paypal is still veyr much an option though, accessed vai the link at top right of the forum, or by sending to brian (at) nihontomessageboard.com

Thanks

Brian

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

A gentle reminder: this Board is free. No member fees. It works only by donation and above all by Brian's dedication who spends hours to have it run smoothly and often at his own expenses.

If donation are not made upon sales, and there are a lot of people who use the Sale section almost professionaly if not, it wiil be perhaps necessary in the future to set up a Sale fee.

That's my own opinion and I share/stand by it.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think we need a bit more than gentle bump, seems a few sellers are using  the convenience of the for sale section without helping keep the maintenance up on the forum. Brian spends countless hours and some of his own money to keep us up and running. If you have sold more than a few tsuba i say time to pony up! I know Brian wont go for it but id put a limit to sales if one reaps but does not reward, JMHO. 

• Like 3

Tbh with the price of some of the items even a small percentage donation like 5% would be a considerable amount if everyone did it. It's a lot less than consigning with a dealer and your item gains a lot of exposure. Personally for everything I sell here (granted only a few tsuba and books so far) I usually give 10% for small items like books and fittings and 5% for swords/high level pieces.

• Like 1

We are kept going consistently by a small but loyal group who always go out of their way to contribute. Yes, times are tough, and it has been noticeably quieter as far as participation and contributions go, but we are still ok for now. But yes, it is very convenient for some to sell here with no fees and a captive audience.
However, to improve the site and hosting, it is inevitable that we will eventually have to draw in more dealers. And I do have plans to introduce a far better area for dealers, with more exposure and control over their listings and comments...but at a small (monthly or yearly) fee. And free listings for smalltime sellers up to a point.

Don't worry, no radical changes, but I think there may be a lot of benefit for everyone.

Anyways, we'll get to that eventually. The end of the year is approaching, and to get us through next year we will need some form of fund raiser. So a prize draw is a definite possibility. I'll give it some thought. Can't keep asking people to just donate prizes every time.

• Like 2

I have never sold anything here but have bought my fair share and I think its only fair to donate occasionally as a buyer also. Nmb is a big help in learning and networking so even if you dont conduct business here its only fair to contribute something otherwise its just taking things for granted. I really enjoyed being involved in the draw last time round and believe its a great idea to do it again. Thanks.

Greg

• 1 month later...

This is NOT a sneaky way of  appealing for donations (although they don't hurt :laughing:  )
I do want to mention that Paypal has a new way of sending money that is much easier now, and I have signed up an easy link for anyone who wants to contribute or send anything.
it is just http://www.paypal.me/japaneseswords and if you like, you can add a value after that, such as http://www.paypal.me/japaneseswords/100 or whatever, and you can change the currency and value on that page too.
I updated the link above in the donation section. For those who accept Paypal, you can register your own link at www.paypal.me. I find it quite convenient, and just wanted to mention it, as it is easier than logging in to Paypal and going through the whole payment process.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I hate to bump this thread like someone begging...and I am not.
But just a gentle reminder. It is not fair that we sustain ourselves with donations by the same small group of people every time. Right now, we are down to 1 - 3 small donations a month, but I see a lot of stuff moving.
Donations are voluntary, but even $5 helps when those bills come in. Thanks to the regulars...but you shouldn't be covering for everyone else.

ill get the ball rolling guys, if we can get 15 donations in a week ill double my original donation guys. and from a guy raising a family on one income,  if I can do it you can too

with out this board i would have never meet or received help from

curran Cambell

justin Orr

guido schriller 

Rob Hughes 

mike curran 

david flynn

nick ricupero

bazza

Andrew ickeringill

peter

and many many more

thankyou

• Like 1

I make a small donation for every sale exceptmy LuLu  books  and Brian knows the reason why

I hadn't thought about a donation when I buy something but if I get a bargain I will make the same donation as I do when I sell

This is a great platform for dealers and NMB websites as there are so many 'views' I'm sure they all chip in

Like a gramophone record but here goes

Brian and the moderators do a great job and the NMB has helped me so much I'll do what I can