Date questions..

sencho

Well after my Sukemitsu wakizashi that I bought from Big Mo became a Norimitsu, I have had my first chance to examine the date on the back of the nakano. It is as follows:

Tensho Roku Nen Hatchi Gatsu Hi

天正六年八月日

(1579 - sixth year of Tensho 8th Month)

I was originally told Tensho 1573, but this may have been mo just generalizing the emperor reign as the time of the sword.

Any way a couple of questions have come up here, one being why on my sword is their just a "HI" on it's own. Shouldn't their be a day number before that? Or is this something that is often on date inscriptions.... or is it ssomething other than "HI"?

Cheers

kapitan,

it is " customary " to leave the day out............. usually we read it as a " lucky day in the 8th month " or................

the Japanese are the first to invent " back dating of stock option ", keep the date " open " ? :badgrin:

milt The ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..