Wanted: Pics of Tadayoshi 1st sword with hoso suguha hamon

Goldy

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for good quality, close-up pics of any Shodai Tadayoshi blade with a hoso-suguha hamon. If you know of, or have an example of, I'd love for you to share it. Please PM or post links here. I'd personally rather see examples in hand but my location pretty much rules that out.

Thanks for your time and help.

Cheers,

Thanks Koichi san,

Is that example a hoso-suguha or more chu-suguha? My terminology is based on Mr. Robertshaw's book (pdf) page 74. I was thinking more along the lines of this example:

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

All the best,

post-474-14196777661158_thumb.jpg

Ah yes, I see. Is the Tsuruginoya example in hadori polish? It may be that style that makes the nioi line seem wider than it is to me. The example I posted has a sashikomi polish and clearly shows the small width (hoso?) of the mainly suguha (with ko-notare) hamon. Another example of why it is better to study nihonto with your own eyes rather than somebody else's camera via the 'net.

My continued thanks,

Craig,

I think there is some terminology confusion here. (As I have just driven 900+ ks and finally got in it may be mine!!)

Suguha is sometimes defined as Ko or ito if it is particularly narrow. Chu-suguha means the hamon is deeper. Hoso-suguha, I beleive, relates to the structure of the hamon where the edge looks frayed. Someone once described ot to me as looking at the torn edge of a sheet of paper. It is created by ko-nie running through the nioi guchi which in most Tadayoshi blades is quite thick and bright.

It is also a strong characterisitc of the shodai's work which is less frequently seen in subsequent generations.

hope this helps

Regards

Paul

Thanks guys, nothing like a good cordial, educational discussion. According to my Japanese/English dictionaries the Japanese word for 'thin' is actually 'hosoi', pronounced 'ho-so-i'. Maybe we westerners have bastardised it a little as our culture seems wont to do. Could a native speaker push in for a decisive comment?

Anyway, I'm still very keen to see some examples of the Shodai Tadayoshi's blades with the 'thin' suguha hamon. If possible I'd also like to see the mei from the same blade. I know it's asking for a lot and I thank those who make an effort wholeheatedly, especially if they pull an example out of the closet and take some pics.

Best regards,

In an attempt to atone for my earlier error please see attached two rather poor photographs of a narrow suguha on a mumei Tadayoshi blade. There has been some debate between various appraisal bodies as to which generation this is. The workmanship suggests the shodai the shape the 4th generation. As can be seen it is not a pure suguha which is more indicative of the 1st than later generations. It also exhibits the "frayed" effect I described earlier with ko-nie falling through the nioi- guchi

hope this helps

regards

Paul

post-16-14196777724532_thumb.jpg

post-16-14196777725041_thumb.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to help out Eric and Paul, much appreciated. You can also see the 'hotsure' (frayed edge) on the example I posted. I'd love to see the nie characteristics (location, size, density etc) and any hataraki (especially if it is a papered Shodai Tadayoshi) but I know that's asking quite a bit.

If anyone else is also able to help out I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..