Newbie needs help

Strider

Hello all and happy new year, the translation help that Stephen requested was for a sword that I own. I want to thank him very much for helping to get the photo to this board so that the other members can help. Here is the history of this since I have owned it, sword was given to me as a gift back in 1980/81 by a WWII veteran that served in the pacific theater in the supply division; when I recieved it , the saya was black lacquer that had been wrapped with several layers of gauze and then sewn into a leather combat cover,I think that it was a civilian saya because there is a wooden filler where the belt stop[can't recall the name] used to be. The tsuka ito was a blue/green color but was deteriorated, the tsuka itself has an unusual stepped down shape and the menuki were on opposite sides than most of the ones I've seen in photos.The same is in two panels, not the preferred full wrap and the fuchi/kashira/menuki are stamped[?] brass with what I would call a pine bough motif. Being young and stupid, I did some cleaning and polishing that I now know to be wrong. I would very much like to have some restoration work done but need to find out just how much it warrents. The blade does not appear to be traditionally made but there is a temper line that shows up as clear rather than white and the yasurime and unusual habaki make me think that this sword is something out of the ordinary. Sorry to be so long winded but any help on any subject would be appreciated Scott Enloe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..