All Japan Swordsmith Association

Richie112

Hi and happy New Year to you all

I just wondering if any one has any information or links that will point me in the right direction for the questions I have. I have dug about the internet to no avail.

I'm in the process of getting Shinsakuto made for me. A few smiths have been recommended and results from the AJSA have been quoted at me but what do they all mean? Living Treasures and Mukansa speak for themselves but what is the meaning of Toku-sho, Yushu-sho, Doryoku-sho and Nyusen.

Another question is, does anyone here have a sword made by either Kimura Mitsuhiro from Kumamoto, Tanaka Sadatoyo or Kawahara Sadachika?

Thanks for any help in advance

Hi Richard,

Every year the NBTHK holds a shinsakuto competition and awards prizes for the best entries. These prizes increase the value of a smith's work and establish them a ranking of sorts. When a smith wins enough prizes they are elevated to mukansa.

Toku-sho is first prize, Yushu-sho is second prize, Doryoku-sho is third prize and Nyusen means they were accepted into the competition.

Here is a link to the results of the 2005 competition in English http://www.tousyoukai.jp/english/17th_e.shtml

However, I personally would not base a choice on these competitions alone, it's important to track down as much info and pics as you can and make a decision based on your own thoughts as well.

I have heard of Sadatoyo and Sadachika, I know that Sadatoyo is a student of the Gassan line, I'm not sure about Sadachika. Here is a link to Sadatoyo's website http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~sadatoyo/

Good luck!!

Thanks very much Andrew and Jean for taking the time to reply and the links. It's interesting to note that there are more than one first, second and third prizes.

I agree completely Andrew that the results of such competitions shouldn't be the reason for choosing a smith, hence my post.

Their are only a one or two web pages with pictures of Shinsakuto made by the smiths recommend to me and with my scant knowledge of Japanese, I am left out to water. So. if anyone can help with any further information I would be most greatful.

Hi Richard,

I cannot be very helpful as I am interested mainly in Koto swords.

Nevertheless, take notice that the Nyusen price in the NBTHK contest is not a reward but means that the sword did not meet much success with the Jury.

Hi Richard,

I would like to add to what Jean has said regarding the Nyusen appellation. Jean is quite correct when he says that it is not an award in the sense of a prize as such. However the suggestion, that as a consequence, the piece in question is somehow sub-standard is perhaps a little misleading.

The NBTHK shinsaku competition establishes, and maintains a very tight hierarchy, consequently it is extremely difficult to progress up the ranks so to speak, without someone at the top being elevated to mukansa. The other thing to consider is that ranking is often very much affected by the tastes of the judges. A few years ago ko-Bizen was flavour of the month. It may be veering to Soshu-den now...

Nyusen rated entries are also ranked according to where, on the general "quality" line, they have been judged. The order of the names of nyusen ranked entries is exactly that. So when you see the occasional tsuba offered as being made by a nyusen ranked maker you'd want to know where he ranked. Anywhere from 1st to 30th or more. With tsuba the drop off in quality can be dramatic. :roll:

Given this situation it might be possible to "discover" a rising star yourself thus save yourself a few pennies, and enjoy the satisfaction of being able to say " I knew him when..." ;)

All the above probably only serves to complicate matters for you. However, I remember being shown a blade some years ago in Tokyo for kantei. I was visiting with Mishina Kenji at the time. The blade in question was absolutely gorgeous, and a magnificent ( but far too new, the tang was in the tsuka ) seeming, ko-bizen sword. I was'nt suckered however and called it right despite utsuri ( at the time the holy grail )and all the other pointers being spot on. The maker was an up and coming fellow called Matsuda Tsugiyasu. Now, he's mukansa. :) Now I really can't afford his swords. :(

regards and good luck,

Ford

Hi Ford

Thanks very much for your input.... very interesting and enlightening. I imagine what you say about nyusen also applies to the other places ie you can have 3rd prize but in 6th place of 3rd prize. Mind boggling. . .

Just out of interest, how does a smith get elevated to the rank of Mukansa and is this a permanent rank or can it be lost?

Hi Richard,

The comment I made regarding nyusen apply only there, with the actual prize winning entries, if 2 or more are deemed to be of a certain level of quality then they are regarded as equal.

I'm not absolutely certain if there are hard and fast rules for elevation to mukanse but generally you'd need to achieve a fairly consistent first position. I'm not sure if there is a minimum requirement or if 2nd and 3rd prizes would also count towards promotion. Knowing a little of how these things work I'd suspect that the overall accumulated results would in fact count. Just hanging in there for the long haul also counts for a lot. The doryoku-sho award is literally; "for effort"

As far as I know, a mukansa is for life... not just christmas ;)

glad to have been of help, Ford

The annual sword forging competition is held since 1955; its name changed twice untile now:

1955: Sakutô Gijutsu Happyôkai 作刀技術発表会

public presentation of the art of sword making

1965: Shinsaku Meitô Ten 新作名刀展

exhibition of newly made fine swords

1991: Shinsakutô Tenrankai 新作刀展覧会

newly made sword exhibition

Although it’s called Shinsakutô exhibition, it includes Horimono and Kodôgu as well; however, there’s a separate competition for Koshirae 拵, Shirasaya 白鞘, Habaki and Seppa (Shirogane 白金) and Tsukamaki 柄巻.

When the results of the competition are publicised in English, the awards are sometimes called “1’st prize, 2’nd prize†etc. This is done for the sake of convenience – the actual names of the awards are rather lengthy, and would need quite some explanations – but can be a little misleading, particularly with regard to the “Nyûsen awardâ€. This isn’t a reward or prize at all, although it is considered a great honor to be “rewarded†acceptance.

Let me explain in more detail.

A panel of judges examines the swords submitted, and decides which ones will be accepted; this is called Nyûsen 入選 (accepted for competition). The Nyûshô 入賞 (award winners) are then chosen from the Nyûsen entries during two rounds of scoring:

In the first round of scoring the blade only is judged. In the second round, the judges examine the Nakago and its finish in relation and proportion to the blade. The scores are added and divided by two.

There are the following awards:

1. Swordmaking Division (Sakutô no Bu 作刀の部)

Tachi 太刀 – Katana 刀 – Wakizashi 脇指 – Naginata 薙刀 – Yari 槍

Tokushô 特賞 (special awards)

Masamune Award (producing Nie of the most outstanding quality in the Ji and Ha)

(Masamune Shô 正宗賞)

Prince Takamatsu Award

(Takamatsu no Miya Shô 髙松宮賞)

General Director of the Agency for Cultural Affairs Award

(Bunkachô Chôkan Shô 文化庁長官賞)

(Mainichi Newspaper, Co. Award [now defunct]

[Mainichi Shimbunsha Shô 毎日新聞社賞])

Honorary Chairman of the Society for the Preservation of the Japanese Art Sword Award

(Nihon Bijutsu Tôken Hozon Kyôkai Meiyo Kaichô Shô 日本美術刀剣保存協会名誉会長賞)

Chairman of the Society for the Preservation of the Japanese Art Sword Award

(Nihon Bijutsu Tôken Hozon Kyôkai Kaichô Shô 日本美術刀剣保存協会会長賞)

Kunzan Award (named after the late Dr. Satô Kanichi)

(Kunzan Shô 薫山賞)

Kanzan Award (named after the late Dr. Homma Junji)

(Kanzan Shô 寒山賞)

All Japan Swordsmiths Association Director's Award

(Zen-Nihon Tôshôkai Kaichô Shô 全日本刀匠会会長賞)

Other Awards

Yûshû Shô 優秀賞 (Excellence Award)

(formerly Shôrei Shô 奨励賞 [award to encourage further efforts])

Doryoku Shô 努力賞 (Effort Award)

(award to recognize remarkable efforts)

Ko-Wakizashi 小脇指 – Tantô 短刀 - Ken 剣

2. Sword Engraving Division (Tôshinbori no Bu 刀身彫の部)

3. Sword Fittings Division (Chôkin no Bu 彫金の部)

Chairman of the Society for the Preservation of the Japanese Art Sword Award

(Nihon Bijutsu Tôken Hozon Kyôkai Kaichô Shô 日本美術刀剣保存協会会長賞)

Swords made by smiths with Mukansa ranking are exhibited without the examination process – that’s what Mukansa 無鑑査 means, “exempt from examinationâ€. To the Mukansa group belong the Jûyô Mukei Bunkazai Hojisha 重要無形文化財保持者 (important intangible cultural property holder), commonly called Ningen Kokuhô 人間国宝 (living national treasure); the Mukansa 無鑑査 proper; and the Mukansa-Taigû 無鑑査待遇 (treated as Mukansa). Since the level of Mukansa work is considered above competition, no awards will be granted to this group.

To become a Mukansa, a smith has to win a Tokushô (special pize) at least eight times, and usually among those the Takamatsu no Miya award three times. The rank of living national treasure is usually given to Mukansa towards the end of their carreer in appreciation of their life’s work and development. They then receive a modest stipend from the government, and are in turn expected to teach their craft to the younger smiths.

The Masamune Award is seldomly granted, and even Mukansa (but not Ningen Kokuhô) are eligible for this most distinguished prize.

Matsuda Tsuguyasu has been around for awhile and a frequent 1st prize winner and a future candidate for mukansa.

There is a lot of politics in sword competition and they usually discriminates against new smiths, but if say a smith who has been around for a long time and rarely wins or never feature in the top prize you would know his works isnt special. Of course there are exceptions.

There hasnt been many rising stars recently but one young smith in his 20s I cant remember his name but he is a student or son of Kawachi Kunihira is a bit special.

Hi Richard,

I own a sword made by Kimura san from Kumamoto. I had it custom made and took 5 months to have it completed. He does forge really good swords for iai. Hes not a mukansa though. Just a run of the mill swordsmith. He and his father Kanetsugu forged it for me as a gassaku (joint effort). 2-5-0 length, choji hamon, itame hada, nioi-deki, similar to bizen style forging. If theres anything else you want to know about this smith, just ask.

Kind regards,

Jeremy Hagop

• 1 month later...

Hello Richard, the Kimuras do make good swords. I have one by Kimura Kanehiro "Kaneteru" for sale on my website. Here is the link for your interest: http://www.katsujinken-ya.com/2.html . However, do not feel obliged to buy it.

Coming back to your initial question about ranking and having a sword made in Japan. It would be wise to clarfy first what purpose you need the sword for. If you wish to have an outstanding work of art made for you that will be an everlasting piece of human cultural heritage, you might want to commission a Ningen Kokuho for that purpose. Your commissioner´s name as part of the mei will be thus immortal for centuries. Well, you do not get this for free :lol: .

Easiest would certinly be to see as many Shinsakuto in real and develop an eye and thaste for the subject. Once you find a nice piece meeting your esthetical standards, buy it. The same, as with old swords.

It is a totally different thing once you are loocking for a sword you plan to use for training Japanese swordsmanship of the various kinds. Not all swords are equally ideal for all styles. Long ones, short ones, heavy ones... . There are some standard configurations most Japanese smiths can do and they are not too costly. Mountings are another issue. For the time being, I will leave you with the question, what you need the sword for.

Rgds., Dieter

post-315-14196736367305_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..