Help in identifying sword type (photos attached)

shawn

Hi all,

I was hoping someone may be able to identify the sword in the photos. Its in pretty average condition so I apologise for the photos.

The total length of the blade is 90cm.

Any help in identifying is appreciated especially in deciphering the marks on the tang as I have little knowlegde on Japanese swords.

post-1889-14196775309472_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775311456_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775317385_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775318266_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775319486_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much to everyone who has replied. I appreciate all your help so far. I will post some more detailed photos soon. It amazes me that this blade could be so old. Not that I'd sell it, but I would be curious to know its approximate value.

I've noticed that all the parts (not the blade) have been stamped 168.

I've attached a few more photos that may be of help. Once again thank you to all.

post-1889-14196775380304_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775381426_thumb.jpg

post-1889-1419677538314_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775385269_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775386779_thumb.jpg

new pix just show us the parts added to the sword for its use in WW2, we would like to see the nakago (tang) end. Please post full shot of the blade and tang without any of its parts and one good one of the nakago with out the habaki, blade up. thanks for putting up with the requests.

Hi,

Unfortunately I cannot remove the habaki completly. Apparantly during the war the tang was hit by a bullet. As it is now bent out of shape and I have little knowledge on these swords, I am not prepared to straighten it as I do not want to damage it anymore than it is.

I have attached new photos. I hope these a what you were refering to. Unfortunately the browser restricts the size of the photos.

I'm curious as to why the tang should not be cleaned (I did do this to make the characters readable).

I've noted the smiths name below and approximate year of manufacture, is there any way to trace its origins further? Can anyone tell if this blade was common or of a rare variety.

Thanks again.

Shawn

post-1889-14196775477972_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775479373_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775480014_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775481018_thumb.jpg

post-1889-14196775481793_thumb.jpg

I'm curious as to why the tang should not be cleaned (I did do this to make the characters readable).

If you clean the tang you devalue the sword and destroy a patina that has built up over hundreds of years. By cleaning it you have now lost a significant amount of the swords value.

you have now lost a significant amount of the swords value.

i think he stoped before great value was lost.

You have a fine sword and the school are well know for good fighing blades.

i think a good smith could fix the nakago,or maybe a togi. What do you think Ted T, Bob B, Jon B?

id give it hard thought to have it restored, as in polish and in shira saya.

the sword is from the mid to late 1600's and a very nice find.

He's cleaned it quite badly judging from the original photo and the new ones. Not the end of the world but it adds to the restoration costs.

For a shirasaya, polish and repatinate/fix nakago he wont see much change out of $1500. I think it deserves to be restored if it was mine I'd fix the tsuka, get a new liner for the guto saya and fully restore the mounts.

post-9-14196775489131_thumb.jpg

post-9-14196775489738_thumb.jpg

He's cleaned it quite badly judging from the original photo and the new ones. Not the end of the world but it adds to the restoration costs.

For a shirasaya, polish and repatinate/fix nakago he wont see much change out of $1500. I think it deserves to be restored if it was mine I'd fix the tsuka, get a new liner for the guto saya and fully restore the mounts.

To clean it I used WD40 and a soft cloth. Unfortunately my lack of knowledge allowed this.

If it were to cost $1500- what would this value the sword at?

If it were to cost $1500- what would this value the sword at?

It depends on many factors. If the damage to the nakago can be successfully repaired and the sword survives polishing without any major problems or flaws you would likely get $2000+. It is however quite risky and you should never undertake a polish for possible financial gain.

never undertake a polish for possible financial gain.

absolutely right, fell into that trap twice, Pete if he just used WD 40 and a soft cloth I don't see the damage except for the lack of red rust, which is good.

Shawn

its best to think along the lines of total preservation of the sword, IMHO its worth it, id email the bent nakago to some PPL and see what they think about the cost of fixing it. Now to some its part of the history of the sword and should not be changed.

Thank you to all who have helped me with identifying this sword. At the moment I am thinking I will get it restored, but that will be determined by the quote that I will get.

One final question, is their anyway I can trace ownership of this piece? I realise this is a big question, but you never know unless you ask.

Once again thank you, I appreciate the time you have taken to help me out.

Cheers,

Shawn

One final question, is their anyway I can trace ownership of this piece? I realise this is a big question, but you never know unless you ask.

The only possible clue that remains to past ownership of your sword is the silver mon badge on the kabuto-gane (the metal piece on the broken bottom half of the handle). This can potentially give a rough idea to what samurai clan the swords owner claimed association to. It might be worth posting a photo of the mon badge to the board.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..