"GI" arsenal stamp

TomP

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply.

From what I have read, the "Gi" (Gifu?) stamp came into being around mid-44 to the end of the war. My example that I have since picked up is dated December 1944. There is a tiny--from what looks to me--stamp on the other side of the tang that looks like Seki and yet another stamp of unknown design on the ridge of the tang. I read a description of just this type of tang in Gregory and Fuller's sword book: I think it is the Military Swords of Japan (?) the paperback (much less expensive!) reference book.

Although the book states that a blade with this type of stamp is very rare, since the book was published 20+ years ago, does that still hold true? I would think several blades with this stamp would have "come out of the woodwork" so to speak since then. Thanks.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think it probably correct that more info has come out since F&G wrote their book. Personally I have seen the "Gi" stamp with some frequency...but only on tangs of "Type 3" mounted swords. These came out as Bruno says, in Nov? 1943 I think...there is an article you might have missed on this mark and type of sword, by Ohmura san...interesting. These marked swords seem to be mainly oil-quenched sunobe-to and the mark is put on by private contractors.

try: http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~t-ohmura/gunto_118.htm

It seems fairly common...but not nearly as common as SHO and SEKI stamps.

Regards,

George.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..