Edo period Tosho tsuba

Rich T

Hi all, I thought I might run this past the group. Did swordsmiths, that made tsuba, sign any differently compared to their sword mei ?. Did theyhave different designations ?, or use alternate titles ?, and are there any records, i.e. references or books showing Tosho tsuba mei ?.

I have seen various mei on tsuba by Masahide, Naotane, Naokatasu and they are close, though the papered Naokatsu I have seen show some differences. I have also recently come into possession of tsuba signed Yasutsugu and Daido. I am looking at buying a Naokatsu tsuba when I am in Japan next month.

Some of the greatest mid/late Edo sword smiths had a hand at making tsuba and it appears that they, for the most part, did an excellent job. I would be interested in any material, references and articles on this subject. I have Roberts Haynes' information in the Tsuba, an Aesthetic guide and Nihonto Koza but would also like to read anything else that might be about the place.

Cheers

Richard Turner

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..