goinlower's items of interest

Hi todd,

can't wait to see the new stuff. some of the things you have put up for sale i have only read about & maybe seen a picture/print. of course other members have been much more fortunate, so may be old jingasa to them, especially those who visited or live in Japan [Nobody around?] and i recall you mentioning "armpoles"? probably "polearms", which mean naginata or yari, most likely. got pitures?

imho i totally agree with the member's opinion above. especially concerning the sword fittings. finding matching menuki, fusha, etc is difficult. but if ya got a crane tsuba, crane menuki, and the rest match .... that's after all how usually were meant to be on a sword.

I don't that you would get significantly more $$ selling the parts rather than the whole.

doug e

I've moved this topic to Ebay/Sales as it's plainly obvious that the depth of discussion pertains to Todd's listings or things that will be listed.

Let me state that while I have no problem with helping folks, I also believe that there is limit to hospitality. It's obvious that members are willing to help Todd and as long as Brian has no problem with it, then so be it. Keep it simple and keep it civil. We don't need 50 pages of blather and confusion.

@ Todd; I hope you truely value and appreciate the information and generosity of help you are getting from this forum. People here can be quite helpful and that's a good thing. This board operates on annually donated funds from people in the Nihonto community who enjoy sharing information with like minded folks, and actually donate items of value themselves in support of it. However this forum was never intended as an information source for sellers. Occasionally it happens, whether confessed or covert, and we tend to turn the other cheek about it. Therefore, keep in mind that hospitality is something that should neither be expected nor abused. As was pointed out, you are no stranger to Ebay, and according to your Ebay profile, you are no stranger to antiques. So I'll presume you also know that information is king. You might consider donating a nominal amount to help this board continue, for all the help it and it's members has been to you already, and is likely to be still yet. Of course this is not a requirement, only a humble suggestion. I'd suggest also keeping this thread going with future items. Moderators don't enjoy looking through 20 threads if they can visit just one that contains the subject matter adequately. This one does. Since it's just a sales mission for you, this singular thread will suit just fine, just keep adding to it. That will keep it at the top of the queue without several other seperate threads bumping others out of visibility position, which is not fair.

@ Everyone; This thread is bumping the tolerance needle pretty hard sometimes. Be nice. If you want to help, then do so. If you don't want to, then don't. If you're interested in Todd's items, PM him, email him, or check his seller ID which is rollinon20s . Otherwise, let's keep the signal to noise ratio down.

Well said Ted, I have trouble putting words down properly lately, but will indeed be "cracking the whip" a bit to fine tune the forum.

Ted said it. Keep this subject in this forum, and let's try and get back on track.

Todd, anything is always appreciated, but of course it doesn't buy any extra favours ;)

Items, donations, first-born....it all helps. Pm me to work out the details if you would care to donate.

Thanks,

Brian

Ted,, thanks for the email and i have no problem donating to your web page,, i can donate a amount of a cool item i have,,, i know the item wld be greatly cheerish.. Is donating a item possible? Todd

Thank you Todd, that's quite nice of you. The board and I'm sure it's members also appreciate it. Contact Brian and he'll advise you of the best way to proceed with whatever you decide.

:thanks:

Hey Todd,

why not donate those polearms you mentioned (naginate, yari ?)??

:laughabove:

still would love to see pics --- i so rarely see such weapons still mounted and not cut down to a wakisaki.

doug

I believe the pole arms are a sodegarami and a sasumata, I would still like to see those.

Hi eric,

this is exactly what i like about NMB. i have never heard of "sodegarami and a sasumata" . i am guessing they are pole arms of some variation of a naginata, but dangerous to assume ANTTHING concerning samurai weapons.

better do some research. will tell wife i will plant the new trees tomorrow, got something better to do today.

doug e

Well they are pole arms but they look like something you would use on a farm to move manure or hay around :laughabove: Not very nice to get hit with for sure but not particularly pretty, rakes and forks they remind me of and I don't ever think they temper them - just old iron.

Thank you Dr. B,

i did a quick look up in Wipedia, and they look NASTY. police weapons, huh. can see the LAPD using them in the gang control unit.

so just cast iron. were not something similar used in battle to pull a rider off his horse?

items for a pole arms collector, not for nihonto-philo, i would think.

doug e

thanks for the pics, Todd.

do you happen to know what era they are from? from what i was able to find out so far they look to be late Edo [1840 - 1876]. tho the early early post-sword prohibition police might have found use for them with non-compliant samurai. maybe?

i still think LAPD would love to be able to use them in crowd control.

doug e

Not really weapons as such but rather tools to apprehend criminals without bloodshaed. Look at almost any genre picture of life in an Edo period town and you will see a rack with usually three of these devices on it. Love the sasumata! You don't see too many around - I guess they were rather inconvenient to bring home from a trip to Japan in the 19th century.

Ian Bottomley

HI Ian,

the range of tools availble to the "police" of an Edo period town is very interesting. Bloodless, yes, so intended, but those spikes look nasty, and i am sure some samurai din't not go quietly, especially after a flask or two of sake.

as an adjunct to traditional nihonto study, research into the methods used to control samurai in the peaceful Edo years might be interesting an provide cultural context. if just to provide a more complete picture of the society of the time.

i know that one of those police tools was used in the Sengoku period by ashigaru to pull samurai from their horse or trip up the horse itself. the one used to grab a sleeve. [but were any of the other two used in Koto times??

not as interesting as the Muramasa discussion recently on NMB, but fun anyway, no?

doug e

100_2082.JPG

Here is another style of sasumata head, your not going to see many of these around in the US, even in Japan they are not near as common as sodegarami. The shipping cost for this type of tall pole weapon is very expensive, I recently purchased one in Japan and the shipping cost was more than the cost of the sasumata! http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/estcrh/samurai%20sasumata%20Edo%20period%20police%20weapon/

For those interested in this type of polearm, I happened quite by chance to notice that a seller on ebay (daimyou54eb) has four different sodegarami currently listed for sale. :D

Sorry, I still havent figured out how to post links. :dunno:

Trust me on this, that is a replica, I can assure you.

This is a replica, while Daimyou does carry authentic samurai antiques he at the same time carries vintage and replica items, you need to watch his descriptions very carefully as he would have listed it as Edo period and started it at a much higher price, if you go to his close up pics you will see the rather obvious tell tail signs of a replica, first...no wear...second...no wear...third...no wear...look carefully at the metal....that is not the natural look of rust on a real Edo period item...its to fine and smooth and the color is off...watch his items for a while and you will see the same ones appear over and over..all with the same color and textured metal pieces. I have purchased a few of his replica items for research and I will post some pics of his replicas compared to real antique iron.

This is a replica, while Daimyou does carry authentic samurai antiques he at the same time carries vintage and replica items, you need to watch his descriptions very carefully as he would have listed it as Edo period and started it at a much higher price, if you go to his close up pics you will see the rather obvious tell tail signs of a replica, first...no wear...second...no wear...third...no wear...look carefully at the metal....that is not the natural look of rust on a real Edo period item...its to fine and smooth and the color is off...watch his items for a while and you will see the same ones appear over and over..all with the same color and textured metal pieces. I have purchased a few of his replica items for research and I will post some pics of his replicas compared to real antique iron.

100_1745.jpg?t=1265479464 Replica ninja style weapons from Daimyou 100_1587.jpg?t=1265479676 Antique iron climbing tools

• Like 1

Thanks Brian...... I think the reason I couldn't do it was because it was so easy. :thanks: :bang: :bang:

Yea Eric. I did notice they were repro's but thought them interesting as to illustration of some of the types in use. This isnt my area of interest or expertise, so my curiosity is limited. Consequently I'm not likely to get caught out with police weapons or ninja weapon replicas. :glee:

Thanks Brian...... I think the reason I couldn't do it was because it was so easy. :thanks: :bang: :bang:

Yea Eric. I did notice they were repro's but thought them interesting as to illustration of some of the types in use. This isnt my area of interest or expertise, so my curiosity is limited. Consequently I'm not likely to get caught out with police weapons or ninja weapon replicas. :glee:

Thats good, just didnt want anyone to get stuck, I just read on another forum were a member paid almost $300 dollars for "antique Edo period shuriken" only to find out they had the same look as the replica sasumata, hard to get a refund from Japan. Almost as bad as China sometimes.

IMHO

Considering the high cost of shipping the real polearm, or even replica, from Japan i would think that buying a replica here, if ya just want decoration to fill out range of polearms on your wall, would be the way to go. to me they are ugly, but they are a part of the history of Japan, so good to know about them, anyway.

still think LAPD should look into getting a few.

doug e

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..