goinlower's items of interest

Hi Goinlower (what's your name?)

To do a good job of appraising such a large collection you need more and better help than you can get by posting pictures of NMB. You need someone who can examine the pieces in hand and give you an informed opinion as to value and best way to sell (if the items will be for sale).

To find someone who is both qualified and honest won't be easy, and you will have to pay for the service, but it is the only way you'll ever know what you have and what it's worth.

Grey

Yeah thats the problem im having, i have HUNDREDS of items i have to sell but a few at a time,, i have 20 swords in my room and 2 huge pole looking things with spike,, old winchester 30 cal paratrooper guns and many diff items,, but dont wanna get ripped off,, it hurts to sell them sense my grandfather dedicated his life to these items but my grams really needs the money sense he didnt have ins....i appreciate your idea and deff will see what i can find...todd

Todd (remember to sign every post with your name)

Grey gave you good advice. I would suggest that the better items are going to have to go on auction. Not an online auction like eBay, a big auction house like James Julia or one of the others that does weapons. Only way to get what they are worth imho.

Smaller items like tsuba or arrowheads (yajiri/yanone) you could sell here or online. Swords are tricky, you should perhaps try and get them to a sword show for opinions.

None of it is easy, but with buyers always crawling out of the woodwork in these cases, you need to know you are getting a fair price.

We can assist where we can, but are not perfect and opinions are only worth what you pay for them.

Post your location, and we will see if anyone nearby can assist. Don't be in too much of a hurry to accept offers or put stuff on eBay.

Regards,

Brian

Oh..the hachiwara appears to be a very late Edo/Meiji piece, of the type probably mounted for that early tourist trade or dockyard sales. I have seen a number in these wooden mounts. Often signed with elaborate script mentioning "Masamune"

I expect it would fetch about $100-150, but that is a guess.

I don't know about the laquerwork at all.

The yanone (darn..I really want that middle one for my girlfriend's collection) would be from about $100 up to about $250-300 for the more fancy ones imho.

This all assuming everything is original, good condition, and no repros.

I don't usually allow this kind of pricing/sales discussion in the general discussions sections..but given the circumstances and within reason, I think I will allow some assistance with valuations. As long as you accept we aren't experts and might make mistakes.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks i really apprectiate it, i love stoneware so this is all diff to me,, it all has to be sold i just dont wanna sell something for 100 and then find out its wrth 6000,, im not out to rip anyone off at all. I wanna pay her bills and have the collector enjoy the items as my grandfather did.. so if anyone sees something they want,, please feel free to make a offer and i can call grams and figure it out.. i will put more pics up soon,, heading to the house after work today...thanks alot...Todd

Sorry, can't resist. Old jingles are permanently etched in my brain. 50's 60's. You too, Stephen?

You'll wonder where the yellow went,

when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

Where ever you go,

trust Texaco.

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz.

Oh, what a relief it is.

The Peter Paul's Almond Joy got me started. John

Hi John & Stephen, we a from the same [close] generation, so i think i know just the thing to get those peskey commercial jingles out of our heads. try ...

A horse is horse, of course, of course

And Nobody [for Moriyama san] can talk to a horse, of course

Unless, of course, the horse is the famous

Mr. Ed.

you might be humming that one all day. or Candid Camera , or Secret Agent Man. there were so many good shows when we were young.

doug e

Sorry, can't resist. Old jingles are permanently etched in my brain. 50's 60's. You too, Stephen?

when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.

John

Here in Oz where we take the piss out of everything, this was sung at school as:

when you brush your teeth with Green Cement...

BaZZa..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..