Translation Help + Skip Method of Translation

mattr

Hi all,

Im giving a first time go at kanji translation and am having a difficult time (no surprise here). Ive been reading up on the skip method but am not confident in my stroke counts. Any translation assistance would be appreciated and even better stroke count critique (see the third picture with my best guesses).

This is a tanto that I do not own - another question that I have is the placement of the mekugi-ana in relation to the mei. Is this common on tantos because the available nakago real estate is so limited?

post-1803-14196774215528_thumb.jpg

post-1803-14196774216745_thumb.jpg

post-1803-14196774218055_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt,

Ditto on skip method; never heard of it.

I have 2 dictionaries that I use all the time: Japanese Names and How to Read Them by Koop & Inada, and The New Nelson Japanese English Character Dictionary by Haig. Both rely on radical recognition and stroke count.

I think my set of Kanji Flashcards makes great good sense also. The Kanji have been selected to be relevant to sword signatures; worked well for me.

Grey

This 'Skip' method is essentially the system chosen by Koop & Inada for their dictionary 'Japanese Names and How to Read Them'. For those not familiar with their work let me give them the biggest plug possible. Although it dates back to the 1920's, it is, apart from being a kanji dictionary, absolutely pack with the most obscure information on things like court titles, groups of objects associated with numbers, how names were derived and so on and so on.

Ian Bottomley

Ive made very little progress on my own (and based on the recommendations PM'd Grey about a flashcard set) - could I ask for a translation of the kanji in the first couple images at the top of the post?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

As a topic derail (Brian/Mods feel free to move this thread) how does the mei look to you? I dont have Hawley (yet) but have only found a few references to Kazuyoshi (and none to Ichiyoshi) in the online references I've come across:

http://www.sho-shin.com/smiths1b.htm

http://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KAZ76

But no existing mei images to cross reference with.

It would surprise me if this blade dated back to the Eisho era based on the condition of the nakago (but I know very, very little)- Opinions?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..