Kanetsugu ?

herrscher

Hello all.

For the past week or so, I’ve been researching a sword my father brought back from China after WWII. It was confiscated while he was in Tsingtao during the Marine Occupation. I do think it is traditionally made, but….

Needless to say, I’ve stopped banging my head against the wall because my wife got tired of the squishy sound.

I believe I’ve translated the kanji as follows,

Showa Mino Provance Seki Maegawa Kanetsugu Made this

Now the interesting part begins. The saya is not military in nature, it’s wood with red over black lacquer. The tsuka is same with cotton ito. The menuki is in a triple mitsu kawahone, the look to be copper with brass overtones. The kojiri is horn. The kashira and fuchi match in style with raised kirimon. The tsuba is plane iron in the mokko gata pattern. One of the two seppa has a kahoku stamp on it. The blade itself has a military polish but the hamon is distinct.

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

This is the first time I’ve done this. Any corrections, with or without sarcasm, are welcome.

Any additional information on Maegawa Kanetsugu, if he is indeed the smith, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Erik Peters

it looks like a standard Showa era civilian sword (people were interested in swords during the 1930's when Japan was trying to expand its empire), you could buy swords like this at larger "department" stores. many were later used by army officers. It is probably not totally traditionaly made but i have seen some decent swords with grain that have a Showa stamp so they are partly hand made

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..