WWII Sword from my grandfather

Jarrett

My grandfather brought back an officer's sword from the Phillipines and I recently received it. I am trying to figure out if it is worth restoring and would greatly appreciate some expert advice. I have taken some pictures of the blade and tang and have found it very difficult to photograph the wavy temper line that you can readily see when held at an angle towards a light source. He wrapped the rayskin handle with string to keep it from deteriorating further. I am really curious as to what the markings on the blade mean. Thanks for your help! Jon Jarrett

tang.jpg

sword.jpg

Hi Jon,

Masayuki's family name was IIJIMA from Yamanashi prefecture and he ran a Sword forging company in Tokyo in WWII . I had one of his blades myself and I wish I had kept it. It was signed with the same stamp as yours and had a spectacular "crab-claw" tempered edge. As for being worth restoring, since you inherited? the sword and it cost you nothing, it may well be financially worthwhile, perhaps some members who specialize in WWII military swords can help with advice on prices for polishing here.

Regards,

George.

Thank you all for the great information! I would really like to have the sword polished and parts repaired to bring the sword back to it's former glory and will most likely do so. I have been qouted 1200-1500 US for the polishing and a 12 month waiting period so I have plenty of time to think about it.

Thanks again,

Jon Jarrett

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..