Another gunto mei translation

Eiichi

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and I have a gunto that my Grandfather brought back after WWII. I did a bit of research by reading Fuller and Gregory's Military Swords Of Japan and I got a lot of useful information, but not enough to know the back round of my particular sword. I had my Grandmother read the mei on the nakago, and she was able to read it in Japanese, but not translate it into English. I'm nisei, and I don't speak much Japanese. The nakago has a showa stamp at the top portion and a unidentified stamp at the bottom portion. The mei reads:

No

Myo

Seki

Ten

Shu

Saku

DSCN2692.jpg

First 2 characters

DSCN2694.jpg

3rd and 4th characters

DSCN2695.jpg

5th and 6th characters

DSCN2696.jpg

unidentified stamp at the bottom of the nakago

DSCN2687.jpg

Please excuse my poor pictures.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Eiichi -

Interesting piece, would be nice to see the blade and fittings - not surprising your grandmother may not be familiar with some of the conventions of reading sword signatures - at the cost of presuming here and perhaps giving offense to her I would offer the following;

濃州関天秀作

Which I would render; Noshu Seki Amahide Saku or "Amahide of Seki in Mino made this"

Note the Shu is presented in more cursive style and so could look to some like Myo

The character Ama can also be read as Ten so shes on the right track

Hide may also be read as shu so again her reading is correct unless you know that this is the swordsmiths name.

The stamp is a flaming jewel as posted by John, and this stamp and it's theme was covered here recently you should be able to find it archived

Begging pardon from Grandma...

-tom

Here are pictures of the rest of the sword and some of the things that came with it.

DSCN2700.jpg

DSCN2704.jpg

DSCN2705.jpg

DSCN2712.jpg

DSCN2711.jpg

DSCN2708.jpg

DSCN2709.jpg

DSCN2706.jpg

The last three photos show the box it was shipped in and the sword bag it was stored in. I also have 3 tags the sword came with. They appear to be rail destination cards and baggage claim cards. The baggage claim card reads: "Grandmas translation"

Mr. Nakayama Toshiro

1401 Tamachi Mishima City

Shizuoka Ken Japan

Eiichi -

looks to be in terrific shape, the koshirae and handle too, with the company grade officers tassel. One point of confusion is that the Bag, The box and the card do not agree. You have three names; Matsuoka, Nakayama and what looks like Tashiro Masao on the bag. It may be that these things were all put together before being sent to your grandfather. I wonder is there any info on the sword written on the bag or box that would tie it to any one of these names?

Regardless, you have a fine legacy there, how nice that you have the chance to research and preserve it...

-tom

Eiichi -

looks to be in terrific shape, the koshirae and handle too, with the company grade officers tassel. One point of confusion is that the Bag, The box and the card do not agree. You have three names; Matsuoka, Nakayama and what looks like Tashiro Masao on the bag. It may be that these things were all put together before being sent to your grandfather. I wonder is there any info on the sword written on the bag or box that would tie it to any one of these names?

Regardless, you have a fine legacy there, how nice that you have the chance to research and preserve it...

-tom

Tom,

Yes, I found it strange that the name on the bag has the name Tashiro Masao, but on the box it says Matsuoka, and the rail card has the name Nakayama Toshiro. It would be interesting to investigate those names, and if I'm lucky, I could find out who this sword originally belonged to.

On a side note, despite this sword being a showato and not a true gendaito or nihonto, I would eventually like to have it polished. It has a lot of sentimental value, and I would like to pass it down in the family. Are there any good sword polishers that would entertain the idea of polishing a showato blade?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..