Happy New Year 2010 - new tanto

Jean

I am going to split it in 2 topic, you'll find the other one on the Nihonto section for opinion :

Here is a small tanto, I have come across. It has a Tokubetsu Kicho paper (1968) and a kanteisho that I would like you to help me translate

kanteisho inconnu logo.JPG

kanteisho inconnu.JPG

tokubetsu.JPG

The paper certificates the blade’s history. :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

Tokugawa Tomiko is the eldest daughter of the 16th head of the Kishu Tokugawa family, and she was the wife of the 18th head (an adopted son to the family) until they devorced in 1965. But she has never been the head. The present 19th head is her daughter.

Ref. http://nekhet.ddo.jp/people/Japan/tokugawa02a.html

極 - Certificate

刀 鵜飼景光 一口 – Katana, Ukai Kagemitsu, one item

當家傳来 相違無ト認メマス – I affim that it has been handed down in our family

紀州徳川家当主 – the present head of the Kishu Tokugawa family

徳川宝子 – Tokugawa Tomiko

Thanks a lot Koichi san for the answer and the :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

I have no opinion on the authenticity of the blade, the nakago can fit, the mekugi ana too, there are differences in all the oshigata priovided but I feel uneased with the Kage kanji chiseeling compared to provided oshigatas (see Nihonto post).

what about the Katana part?

Stephen,

Were I a male chauvinist pig, I'll say it is because the document has been written by a woman who like my wife is unable to make a distinction (for her, all cutting instruments are knives - small or big of course :D ). But as I am not, I shall only say :dunno: :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..