Tanto Translation Needed

Mikebiker

I got a phone call the other day and the lady asked if I was interested in some older knives and sword. Of course I was so I ended up with about a dozen older knives and swords. 5 were Japanese and all date to WWII or earlier. Her father was a Colonel and they lived over there for a while. This is just one of the knives.

332759639_o.jpg

332759871_o.jpg

332759649_o.jpg

332759642_o.jpg

332759515_o.jpg

332759633_o.jpg

332759656_o.jpg

Hi!

Please take good care of this one!

My quick translation:

Bishu Osafune Hidemitsu

Eiwa ni nen hachi gatsu hi (August 1376)

This is a Bizen Kozori group tanto from late Nanbokucho! The smith's name was Hidemitsu. He was the second generation Hidemitsu. He is rated a high-level smith! I am not sure about the authenticity of the signature, but I compared it to a reference I have (Toko Taikan p. 523), and found no significant differences. The oshigata is not very clear in the said book, however. Furthermore, the engravings on the blade look skillfully made, which is a good thing!

More knowledgeable members hopefully verify my analysis... In any case, this is a very interesting and possibly a valuable tanto!

BR, Veli

Some features look doubtful, but the mei is good enough to have it checked by an expert. Therefore the blade should be treated with utmost care from now on. If it turns out to be genuine work, it will be quite a precious discovery.

For those who like to investigate any further, here's an example of HIDEMITSU's mei on another tanto dating from the same year:

reinhard

post-1086-14196773494358_thumb.jpg

What features do you find that may be doubtful. I am very much a total amateur in this type of thing. If it were not legit when would it have been created? I know for a fact it has been the last owners possession for the last 60 years. I am just trying to properly identify it and learn all I can at the same time.

M. Lee,

No one is questioning the honesty of the last owner of of yourself. Signatures of important swordsmiths have been added to later blades (forgeries) ever since swords have been signed. Much like with important signatures on oil paintings, signatures on swords have to be considered carefully.

Grey

If Reinhard says there is a chance, then I suggest you follow the advice and take very good care of it. Perhaps it turns out to be gimei..that isn't a tragedy. Could still be a very nice blade. If shoshin though, then of course it needs to go to the best hands for a professional restoration, probably in Japan.

If you are in the USA, it might be worth sending to Bob Benson for an opinion.

Brian

FWIW-

I would want to see the jigane to see if it says Bizen. That said to my eye the chisel is too heavy in the longer strokes both horizontal and vertical. The short strokes in the SHU seem very heavily punched. The spacing seems off and the characters do not "stack up" on a straight line. The Tsuki in the date character looks wrong with that long tail and the HI seems heavy. Given the small number of control examples likely all of this could be accounted for so yes, it needs further research and even if the mei proves wrong the blade shows plenty of promise and needs to be well cared for.

M.Lee you have some mighty good luck it seems...

-tom

Reinhard said

Some features look doubtful, but the mei is good enough to have it checked by an expert.

M. Lee asked

What features do you find that may be doubtful.

I don't like the package. The saya-gaki looks doubtful and the habaki is not worth of a HIDEMITSU blade. There are minor irritations as far as the horimono are concerned. Jacques pointed them out already, but they don't really matter, for they could be due to careless treatment in the past.

Anyway, this blade should be put to the test. It has a good chance to be worthwhile.

reinhard

Mr Walker were are you finding these koto bizen blades from? ha ha. this one looks very nice just by looking at the horimono, it would be nice to get it polished. I am upset i cant find them myself.

P.s. if you wont to sell that one please let me know, i normally collect sue-bizen blades but that tanto looks good.

Regards Hamish

I buy and sell online for a living. I sell what I call men's toys. Mostly it is guns and gun parts but I am always looking for any swords or knives. I collect knives and swords myself but nearly everything I have is US with a few European pieces. I keep my eyes and ears open all the time and now and then a few treasures will show up. This batch of knives is a great example of nice stuff. I still have one more sword to post when I get it photographed. It is a WWII officers sword. It has all military fittings but the blade may be handmade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..