Sayagaki from Fukunaga Suiken and attributed to Nakajima Rai

cisco-san

Hello,

I would kindly ask you to help me to translate this sayagaki. The dealer says that the sayagaki is done by "Fukunaga Suiken" (very honorable man) and attributes the blade to Nakajima Rai - even I can´t find this smith?!

Sorry for the five parts - but the original one exceeded the height pixel limit .

Many thanks in advance. :thanks:

Klaus

post-1134-14196773067108_thumb.jpg

post-1134-14196773068164_thumb.jpg

post-1134-14196773068665_thumb.jpg

post-1134-14196773069534_thumb.jpg

post-1134-14196773071335_thumb.jpg

Klaus,

cant help with the translation but Nakajima Rai is a school not a smith. they are an offshoot of the Yamashiro Rai School, I think originally set up by Ryokai or his pupils.

Like most derivative schools they show many of the characteristics of the original school bit generally not up to the same (very high) standard. Having said that I have seen some very good Nakajima rai blades.

Regards

Paul

Rai Kuninaga 来國長, a student of Rai Kunitoshi 来國俊, moved from Kyōto 京都 in Yamashiro 山城 province to Nakajima 中島 in neighboring Setssu 摂津 province around Gentoku 元徳 (1329 ~ 1331). There are probably three generations of Kuninaga 國長, and they were active from the late Kamakura period 鎌倉時代後期 through the early Muromachi period 室町時代初期. This group of smiths is commonly called Nakajima Rai 中島来 since their workmanship is very similar, and even signed blades are not easily attributable to a specific generation

First pic says unsigned, Nakajima Rai.

Second pic says Period O-an (I think)...1368

Third pic says Blade length 2 shaku ? bu

Fourth pic gives Showa date (in zodiac signs...sorry havent got my book here

Fifth pic is name and kao of sayagaki writer Fukunaga Suiken

so your friend explained it correctly to you.

Regards,

George Trotter

Klaus -

George sussed most of it out, here is what I see;

無銘 伝中島来 時代応安頃 刃長弐尺壱寸有之 昭和癸丑如月上浣 福永酔剣(花押)

mumei Den: Nakajima Rai Hacho: 2 shaku 1 sun kore ari Showa Mizunoto-Ushi Fukunaga Suiken (Kao)

or

Unsigned In the tradition of: Nakajima Rai, Length: 2 shaku 1 sun (Executed) early February 1973 (by) Fukunaga ...

The order of the kanji is Aru Kore but should be read Kore Ari - "Den" is not as strong an attribution as just saying Nakajima Rai outright but still not a bad attribution to have. Would love to see pics of the sword itself should you get around to it.

-tom

PS my stupid computer refuses to learn the old kanji so some of these are the simplified versions...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..