KATANA TRANSLATION PLEASE

JOHN MACK

A fellow member provided me with this site for reference . i did not want to provide any other info as not to mix opinions on the rest of the katana , i figure if we just the the marks we will focus on that only , but i see now that an accurate judgment can only be made using all of the sword . forgive me as i am completly new to Japanese swords and the vast amount of information. i appreciate your time and efforts steve,john

John

I can understand you want a second opnion, Please not all Caps it same as yelling!!!

heres the pix, i thought you seen it cropped and reduced in my later emails,

the link for this board was to get a feeling for the mei, shoshin? gimei? second gen ? third.

you come off not wanting to provide info...dont understand this point.

anyway heres your pix. lets ask nice please.

post-21-1419677306473_thumb.jpg

Here's a link to the post on another forum with more pics: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=402176

Tang is signed 'Suinshinshi Masahide' but sure its gimei. Mei is pretty far off, filemarks are wrong, etc. Not another gen. either.

On the bright side it's definitely Japanese not Chinese. The fittings could be nice. I'm not yet very knowledgeable on fittings so will let someone else comment but looks like a nice tsuba and waribashi.

John

if you do a search here youll see Masahide talked about quite a bit.

here is one post to show Masahide mei.

if you ask kindly (i no longer have the book) a scan of NihontoKoza Shinshinto it has a whole page on shoshin and gimei Masahide mei that shows strokes and how gimei are off.

post-21-14196773081945_thumb.png

From what i am slowly learning as a new collector is that i will need to buy other books. ok so i read that gi- mei is put onto swords of lesser blade smiths and unmarked swords to increase the value ,i do not yet understand why this katana has the expensive hardware , it may very well be as you have suggested that the markings were added to honor this smith , can this be one of his students swords ? the hammon does not look of the edo period , at least to my inexperience eye that is.i am only doing a book comparison to edo hammon styles . again bear with me as i am learning ...

From what i am slowly learning as a new collector is that i will need to buy other books. ok so i read that gi- mei is put onto swords of lesser blade smiths and unmarked swords to increase the value ,i do not yet understand why this katana has the expensive hardware , it may very well be as you have suggested that the markings were added to honor this smith , can this be one of his students swords ? the hammon does not look of the edo period , at least to my inexperience eye that is.i am only doing a book comparison to edo hammon styles . again bear with me as i am learning ...

Hi John,

1) A good library is essential to nihonto collecting, especially if you intend to advance your knowledge beyond a beginners level. Attending shows that offer educational programs and joining study groups is also part of the program for serious students.

2) Learn kantei, it is the foundation for sword appreciation.

3) A good or poor quality sword can be found with good or poor quality fittings.

4) It is true that very, very, rarely, a sword's signature can be attributed to a student signing for the sword smith, but that is for a shinsa to determine.

So sorry to be a grinch, but, the sword will need a full polish and will cost a buck. If you consider it is gimei and devalued because of it, I would get it to someone to assess in hand before sinking cash. The fittings are nice, although not high end. I like to see swords preserved, however, unless cash has no relevance, tread carefully and decide why this sword is worthy of a polish to you. john

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..