bah! humbug! ... a tester!!

Doesn't bother me if people call me Gaijin..... shoulders wide enough.... they call me a limey b******d in the US and I think that is hilarious!!! Ha Ha Ha!! Scurvy ridden Englishman!

It is actually some Japnese that I have been learning.... not just trying to learn the language but learn some lateral thinking within the Japanese language....

Generally have to read the phrase and say it without really thinking about the kanji....

i.e. the kanji will lead you in one direction of thought to the meaning, when looking at the character.... however if you were to say the phrase to someone else (just orally) they would not have the benefit of seeing the kanji and would draw a different conclusion to the meaning of the phrase...

Because we are reading it we are taking it literally for what the kanji actaully means, but if we think laterally we can see the 'joke' or play on words.

This one revolves around a baseball phrase in Japan.

i.e. "UTSU" does not only mean "depressed/melancolic".....

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..