I Need A big help

jojolee

Hi gentlemen:

Recently, I have got a old officers Shin-Guntō (I thought it is) Type 98. But I am a newbie I don't know too much about it. So if some could help me to find out more info about it, that will be highly appreciated.

About Mei: the sword had a strange mark on the handle, I will show you the pic in following posts, dose any one has same mark on sword, or any one have idea what's that means?

Another favor, if any one could help me to maintain the sword, because the condition of the sword is not so good, and the leather cover became very "crispy" and try, I tried to use some oil to make it stronger and more toughness, but it seems not work, please give me some advises.

Highly appreciate.

Joe

this is difficult...... my first impression is that this may not be a Japanese sword made prior to 1946. There is the possibility that it is a modern Chinese copy. The inscription has no meaning. I will allow others to comment further.

Joe,

Unfortunately, you are not the first one nor the last one to whom it happens.

This leads me to ask the following question : Have you ever seen a real Nihonto or held one.

Perhaps because I began collecting more than 20 years ago when fakes did not exist (neither internet BTW) my first contacts were only with genuine Nihonto. When you have held one and study it for five minutes you will know what a Japanese sword looks like.

An advice : try to attend a Show once in your life and then you will be less incline to do the same mistake again. If you cannot do it, try to find a sword dealer and spend sometimes in his shop asking question and seeing as much blade as you can.

The following is my personal opinion (and I share it :lol: ) - for your first buy, go and see a reputable dealer - or, if too expensive, before buying anything, just put a post on the Board.

Meanwhile, go the Dr Stein's commercial links (English and Japanese - you will have very good pictures/scans of Nihonto :

Aoi-Art - Iida Koendo - websites have tenth of Nihonto to be studied :) :)

Sir,

I am saddened to hear of your plight and that the disgusting trade of forging has claimed another victim.Though I have not looked at your sword,I can accept the opinion already given.

It is difficult to know how to proceed in this commercial minefield but I would offer a word of advice; try AOI_ART in Tokyo. Nothing on this site is cheap but the owner is a man of good character and whilst I dont know what you may buy,it will be Nihonto.

There is the odd bargain about but I would say in general purely as a guide, if you are offered a Katana in reasonable condition for less than £1000GBP,proceed very carefully.

Henry

I am not so sure it is a chinese copy.....
If you ever get to the Panjiayuan flee market, South 3'rd Ring Road, Beijing, you'll find dozens of this sword's brothers and sisters. If you're lucky you can watch the vendors "antiqueing" them right before your very eyes.

Is there any article I can read about to compare original with fake Sword? Maybe I won't make any mistake with my next sword

At the top of this page you'll find a link to a fake vs. real Nihonto article. There's also this one: http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=greyguy0 which I put together for my ebay "me" page.

But neither of these guides will be enough. You need to look at lots of the real thing; study.

Grey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..