Info about Shimada Yoshisuke

Martin

Hi all,

as I am still not an owner of Kantei books :( - Could anyone please provide any information (Text, Oshigata) on the Koto Smith(s) Yoshisuke of the Shimada school?

Especially their Tanto would be of interest to me.

I already have some information from Yoshikawa and Fujishiro but maybe there are some more sources available (Nihonto Koza or other Japanese books) ;)

Many thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to all,

Martin

The Sue Koto book translation published by the JSSUS has a section on the Shimada school. I too have a tanto made by someone in the Shimada school. I aasked Michael Hagenbusch if he could point me to the maker of that tanto. He told me it was Shimada. When I got to the section in the Sue Koto book there was a tanto just like mine.

SOOO here is aplug for the Sue Koto translation published by the JSSUS cost $50 plus shipping - available from HArry Watson and here is a plug for Michael Hagenbusch. If you ever get a chance to listen and learn from Michael at a kantei session do not miss that opportunity. His depth and breadth of knowledge is wonderful.

Hi Barry,

thanks for your plugs :)

I recently joined the European Branch of the NBTHK and had the pleasure to listen to Michael two times already. His Kantei sessions are really great - for a newbie of course it all sounds a sort of weird at the beginning - but I think his knowledge and abilities are outstanding.

A nice Christmas to all,

Martin

Hi Martin,

To be short, Barry is right, I bought the 2 Sue Koto volumes from AFU, they are a fantastic source of information as Sue Koto is generally badly treated (because of mass production). BUY THESE BOOKS!!!

Now, I have been interested in Shimada school for several years. If you look at a Japon map you will notice that Suraga province has a joint frontier with Sagami.

Shimada school had close links with Odawara Soshu (Sue Sohu), Shimada smiths were well knwown for their tantos (watch Aoi Art, Tsuruta has frequently Shimada school tantos on sale - he has a Sukemune at the time being).

The School started with Yoshisuke (aka "Gisuke") circa 1450. You will find "suke" in the main line smiths names (Sukemune, Hirosuke, Motosuke ...) and had quite a reputation during Sue Koto.

I have a tanto from Hirosuke (a son of Gisuke) which I bought from Aoi-Art : Short nagasa (20 cm), gunome midare with a lot of activity in the hamon and a fantastic jigane (itame), muneyaki, chikei.

Happy New Year to All members

:)

Jean

Hi all,

many thanks for your posts so far.

Jean, I already have the Sue Koto books from AFU. That´s what I meant with Yoshikawa (these are the spiral bound books).

I also bought a Shimada Yoshisuke Tanto from AOI some time ago. It is a really great sword and has the same features that you described for your Tanto.

I´d love to see some pictures of your Tanto. I would really appreciate if you could post them or send me via PM.

Happy New Year,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I'll do some pictures this week-end and post them, the blade needs to be polished and shall be next year for as I have already mentionned, Tsuruta San's notion of "polished" does not always match mine. Mind that nevertheless, his swords are top quality and match every penny paid for.

Jean

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..