Hi from the US. Need help identifying WWII captured katana

USkragnut

The story on this one was that it was collected off of Saipan. The hamon follows the blade perfectly including out to the kisecki so I dont think the blade has had any major damage polished out. Polish is two tone, rough grit on the concave portion of the blade and bright on the top and sides of the tang. The tang is peaked on the back, about 35 degrees. There are a few faint tiny pits here and there that the previous polisher decided not to try to remove when the blade was redone. This was some time ago as the blade shows lots of evidence of being drawn and reshealthed.

There are some scratches on one side where some dumbell tried to remove tarnish with a brillo pad. Nothing that couldnt be carefully removed. There are two mekugi pin holes in the nakago, presumably one from the original tsuka, and the saya looks more like a traditional shealth rather than the typical metal military one. The tsuka is military with a lanyard loop. The habaki is what looks like nearly pure copper with maybe a hint of tin and is better fitted to the blade than a typical WWII sword.

The blade is convex, not hollow or flat ground, with no chips or dings in the edge. Its sharp. Not quite hair shaving sharp, but sharp enough to cleave the free standing corrugated box it was shipped in cleanly in two with a diagonal downward cut, and nearly halfway through on an immediate reverse upper cut. This was probably due to my amaturish skills at tamashegiri.

There is what looks an arsenal stamp above the writing. The evidence of an old tsuka, the expert older re-polish, the peaked nakago with draw file marks, and traditional saya make me wonder if this was a family or ancestral blade. Unfortunately, I cannot see a pattern in the metal that would indicate traditional folded and layered construction, but this may be because the blade is covered in oil and highly polished. If this exists, is there a way to bring this out? I would like to translate the engraving on the nakago. If anybody can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

The wooden saya is light as a feather and beautifully constructed but unfortunately is delaminating, the laquer flaking, and is nearly useless functional wise. It is a very dark maroon color, not black. I suspect the leather cover was added to match it up to the brown ito wrap on the tsuka. The leather is very thin with a slight texture. It is reasonably gpod, but fragile and dry. Pigskin I presume. The stitching on it is coming apart on one side.

I would like to repair and repaint the saya but I dont know it this would hurt its value. Opinions?

katana_A.jpg

katana_B.jpg

katana_F.jpg

kstana_E.jpg

katana_C.jpg

Hi, this is a showato, machine made blade made during the war. Unusual it has a second hole drilled in the tang, indicating the mounts may have been changed at some point. Someone has mentioned he worked in Seki where there was mass production of swords during the war. I think this gives a good starting point for doing some research on your own. Regards Mark.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..