Need help in identifying this 1944 Japanese Officer's sword

cplnorton

I've had this sword for many years and have never had any luck with finding anyone who could tell me anything about it. From my limited knowlege I've researched that this is a 1944 Japanese Officer's sword. Sometimes referred to as Japanese Marine Officer's mounts. Which I do know is not correct, as this is the army model. Other than that my knowlege stops.

The blade is in excellent shape for it's age. The handle is excellent as well, and it even has it's original tastle.

It wouldn't let me download a lot of the pics as they were too big, but here is a link to photobucket which has a lot of pics.

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt29 ... n%20gunto/

I was able to download a pic of the signature. My question is, is this a machine made blade or a forged blade? I guess this late in the war it's a machine made blade, but I don't see an arsenal stamp so I guess there is always hope. :D

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

post-1741-14196770955875_thumb.jpg

Grey gave you the date side, Showa is 1925 ect....well need the other side closeup as the one on the bucket is not readable. might add some powder to so it will stand out...looks like a ichi from what i can see. does it have a small stamp on it? not sure yet is machine made.

There is something written on the other side. I did put powder on it and it did bring it out. But it still hard to see.

I uploaded several new pics of it to photobucket as well from different angles in the hopes you guys could read it. The files are too big to be seen here. So just go to this link.

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt29 ... n%20gunto/

Also I did notice another little stamping in front of the one that dates the sword. I didn't notice this one before. It's very small. But is definetly put on by human hand.

What do you guys think?

I have also a type 3 with I guess same tiny unreadable stamp.

I remember someone on the forum told me it was a Gifu stamp? Probably because the smith lived in this province.

I think the mei is not very well done. It seems to be a machine made, I would not understand that a smith has spent hours to make the sword and signed it so badly.

I may be wrong....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..