online exhibition: History Of Steel In Eastern Asia

Some of you might have already heard about the exhibition "History Of Steel In Eastern Asia" that took place at the Macau Art Museum from May through August of 2006. It was a huge exhibition of swords and other related items from China, Korea, Japan, the Philippines and continental Asia.

I don't want to get into the long and complicated story about how I got involved. Anyhow, I ended up doing the descriptions of the Japanese items, wrote an article about Koshirae - which was proof-read, edited and amended by Dr. Takeuchi - and even setting up the swords in Macau personally. The main sword article was written by Mr. Tanobe from the NBTHK.

The Japanese items came from the collections of Robert Hughes, Roger Robertshaw and myself. Unfortunately there were some mishaps with the publication of the exhibition catalog, but it'll be available early next year; about 400 pages, it's more a book than a catalog. After getting all the descriptions and articles formatted, I had to add Kanji for all Japanese terms since the catalog will be published trilingual, English, Portuguese and Chinese, and the Chinese translator would have been at a loss with all the Japanese terms.

Please have a look if you feel inclined - the following link takes you directly to the Japanese section:

http://www.arscives.com/historysteel/ja ... uction.htm

I hope the publishing run of the book is of sufficient number so we may all get an opportunity to buy one. Count me in.

There should be more than enough copies going into print, and they will abe available from the museum directly.

BTW, I just discovered that in the online version some parts of the catalog went into cyber hell, sometimes just period marks or single letters, but occasionally entire words. That, and sometimes the formatting was lost. But I know that the print version is based on the original files I copied on a CD-ROM, so there shouldn't be any problem.

so who's the dude with white( sorry, i meant salt und pepper ) beard ? :badgrin:

António Conceição Júnior, the General Coordinator.

p.s. never mind the one with beer gut ( we call it love handle here )

You probably mean Bob or Roger. In my case (green necktie) it's basically all muscles around the waist .... :evil:

09:22 AM in Chicago ... Milt is posting on the internet ... in the room next door a poor schmuck, suction tubes running into his mouth, is in agony ... waves of pain shake his body each time the cold air gets into his open root canal ... the nurse is used to it, self-absorbed filing her fingernails ... the sounds of gurgling water in the patient's mouth, occasionally some whimpering, the scratch-scractch-scratch of the nail file ... and still the muffled clicketyclick from Milt's keyboard ...

But thankfully....(though not for the patient)

Milt comes back into the room after a while,

gets the drill out and asks the guy once more........

IS IT SAFE ????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ve have Vays to make you talk..........!

KM

PS Guido, what i find so very fascinating in the exhib is the total difference in approach of the Chinese versus Koreans and Japanese.......

as if the further you travel east, the more perfection you get!!!

OT : so if its long........ slow......... and canal.......... eeeeermm.......

how nice........... how much? HAHAHAHA :lol:

(Borat should visit Japan!)

On Topic:

is there a scientific explanation why the Chinese weaponry is so utterly ugly, bad quality, and rubbish? Or is it just the big difference in Japanese and Korean approach?

(i am not talking about Chinese bows btw...)

KM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..