Translation for member - Gendaito

Brian

I am not sure but I doubt that the sword is a Japanese Gendaito because of the appearance of the nakago, the style of the characters, and the writing. :doubt:

小野派一刀流 (Ono-ha Itto-ryu) – Ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itt%C5%8D-ry%C5%AB

信田良男 (Shinoda/Shida/Nobuta Yoshio) - [Notes] It does not seem to be a smith’s name.

皇紀二千六百五年八月吉日 (Koki 2605-nen 8-gatsu kichi-jitsu) – a lucky day in August of 1945 – [Notes] the month in which Japan surrendered.

Moriyama san

Sir,

There is an amount of suspicion about this blade; I find it somewhat incredulous that a Japanese would take the time to inscribe a nakago, quoting as a lucky day and include the month in which his nation suffered catastrophy,its like calling a wonderful day,the day an earthquake struck. Have I totally misunderstood the thing.

You say it is not probably Gendaito,could I ask you for an intelligent guess then please? Gendaito, showato, or bridge steel (rolled stock).

Also is any importance to be attached to the file marks;

It was me who asked Brian to post these prints; From the state of the rest of the furniture it gives the impression it was made in a hurry. Very untidy and unlikely the work of a skilled artisan?

The blade however displays traits of skill but was oil tempered.

enry

Moriyama san;

Sir

My thanks for your input to this puzzle; Its a conundrum. Whlst you clearly doubt its Japanese your uncertainty is accompanied by my own. The blade certainly gives an impressiion of 60 plus years of age and differs from the current P.Chen steel. IMO its not Tamahaganae,in fact its appearance is more of heat treated stock. If it is stock then I think its likely to be Japanese, wartime manufacture;although that part of the translation which you say is not a smiths name,still exites the curiosity as to what the kanji actually say.??

Henry

Regarding the date; February and August are the two months most often found inscribed regardless of the time of manufacture. I wouldn't put too much credence on this being an exact date of creation.

The mei looks precisely and attractively struck, but something about it (maybe that very precision) gives me a little trepidation. Aside from the meaning which is odd, the kanji have an almost "stamped" rather than incised appearance.

The Nakago also has an odd, kind of un-Japanese look to it. The yasuri are very course and deep, and the shape very crisp or sharp looking with a robust width.

I do hope I'm wrong though Henry! :)

Ted, thank you for your input;

I fear you may be right. Ive been studying this blade for sometime now and its not making any sense,at least to me. The more I look, the more perplexed I end up,which I find an unpleasant state.The file marks together with the almost geometric precision of the Mei characters, coupled with the crispness of the tale all point together to a very modern blade.

I note you say do not place emphasis on the August as a creative point,yet the kanji used are specific and where you might expect to find a date but the inscription relative to the name is to my mind in the wrong place.

About the possibility of stamping, microscopic ex amination does not show any side deformity of the metal.

Henry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..