SHOWA STAMP OR JUST A MARK?

Bruno

Hi everybody! :)

I have a simple question for those who are better connoisseurs than me.

I have a gunto sword signed and dated, and until now, I have never saw any stamp on the tang. Yesterday, I looked the tang very closely and noticed what it looks like a "mark" or "stamp" but it is so small(around 3mm) and just half stamped that I am wondering if it is an arsenal stamp or not.

I checked Gunto arsenal stamps on books, but the one on I am talking about is so small that I am not able to determine it(even if it should be showa stamp).

Does anybody knows what were the "regular" or "standard" size of showa, seki arsenal stamps? If those ones were much bigger it would give an idea.

I do like to post a pic but a 3mm mark will be difficult to see clearly.

I will be gratefull of any help and opinions about my questions.

If my question is stupid, forget it! :)

PS: the sword is a FUKUMOTO KANEMUNE mounted in a Type 3 koshirae, if that help...?

Thanks

Bruno

Hey Stephen,

Did we go down this road before? I do not remember. :?:

Yes it is on the end of the nakago close to the habaki, and looks like a half of a stamp. Very small (3mm), impossible to identify. There is no try to delete it. I saw what a showa stamp looks like but it does not look like it.

I also try to take a pic but so small that my camera zoom is not powerfull enought to catch it.

Thank you Stephen, it is nice to help me. :)

Bruno

Thanks Stephen! :)

"do a search here for Kanemune" WHERE IS THE "HERE"? :?:

Sorry, the little mark is not at the end of the nakago, you are right, it is close to the begining of the tang.

Is it out of topic, but I remember you were looking for KANETSUGU swords, right? Because there is one to sell, mounted in a Type 3 mounting, this week on EBAY. If it is not you, excuse me.

Regards

Bruno

Must have hit new topic...sorry mods .....please delet Here Button

HERE as in top tool bar next to FAQ is a search button. ok from your pix it looks like a light struck showa stamp, it could be gifu. does your lens have macro setting? please send link to Kanetsugu the ebay auction.

I don't want to open a can of worms either but, your thought, showa stamp=showato, isn't correct. Many will disagree, but I own a showa stamped blade that is gendaito. There are also stamped blades that pass shinsa, and stamped blades that have had the stamp removed, submitted and passed shinsa in Japan. The one rule that I have found that always applies to collecting is that their is no single rule that applies to everything in collecting. Meaning that your stamp=showato, not always. There are stamps that can lead you in the right direction. Star stap = probably gendaito; showa/gifu = maybe, but doubtful; seki = very doubtful. Again, my opinion about what I have found, others will most certainly disagree.

Hi Joe!

Thanks for your response, very interesting.

Showa swords will always kept their mistery, that is maybe why they are such interesting to collect.

Stamps can not prove that a sword is gendai or not, in some cases, even a traditional polishing can not for sure prove it(some swords were made with such good quality steel than even best experts could not say it was tamahagane or not).

Regards

Bruno

Bruno

Shinsa = college of Japanese experts from a Japanese organization who are going to examine your sword and decide if it is worth preserving or not (I simplify) - judge the authenticity of the mei if any and issue a certificate

For NBTHK you have several websites listing the kind of Documents issued, the cost : the higher the more expensive

Yes, probably you are right Stephen. :) Not sure that sending WW2 stamped swords to Shinsa is a good idea.

To me, it is not that important a gunto is a showato or a gendaito, if the sword is pretty and was purchased at a reasonable price I think it is ok.

For example, I bought my KANEMUNE for 220$ so even it is not a gendai, I do not mind! :)

It is only my newbie opinion.

Bruno

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..