WW2 SWORDSMITH AMACHIKA

Bruno

Hi everyone! :)

I am looking for any informations on the WW2 era swordsmith called AMACHIKA. Presently, I only found his mei, but nothing else. I do like to know more about him, was he a good swordsmith, where was he working, did he used to make both showato and gendaito or just showato etc...

Any help will be appreciated.

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

can you tell us how you know he is WWII period...was it from the mei? if so, can you show us his mei?

I have had a quick look through my references and cannot see any smith of any period with this name...maybe it can be read different ways?

Regards,

George.

Hi George! :)

Thank you for your response! :thanks:

In fact, I found his name on this website:

http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/oshigata/index.htm

I am about to get a showato signed by this swordsmith, and I would be glad to have more informations about him.

If you "clic" on his name in the list you will have his mei. But apart from that, I was not able to find anything else about him(ranking, type of swords he made, working place etc...)

If you can have informations on him I will be happy to have them! :)

Thank you :thanks:

Best regards

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

Thank you for posting this signature...if you notice, Dr Richard Stein has put two strong "??" after the mei as he is uncertain if Amachika is correct...I hope Moriyama sama will take a look, but I most respectfully suggest that the mei actually says "DAIDO". His name was Higashidani? Katsukichi (or Katsuyoshi) and he became a Seki Tosho on Showa 18 year 7 month 22 day (22, July 1943). I have seen his work before and it was standard WWII gunto with Seki stamp.

I hope this helps,

George.

Thank you very much George! :thanks:

I have pics of the mei and the date on the tang, I do not know if it is readable, I joined the pics anyway. But there is no seki stamp on that tang.

I will be glad to know your sources, where you found all these informations and translations(DAIDO,Higashidani, Katsukichi (or Katsuyoshi). :)

I hope to that Moriyama san will have a look.

To conclude, no chance that it could be a gendaito! :)

I am really gratefull for your help George, I do appreciate the time you spent for getting all these informations for me. I will soon buy the famous book on modern Japanese swordsmiths, it will be helpfull.

Kind regards

Bruno

post-1619-14196769433026_thumb.jpg

post-1619-14196769434844_thumb.jpg

Bruno,

The information comes from Dr Jinsoo Kim's site http://www.jpsword.com

click on Gunto Story then WWII Swordsmith Ranking and scroll down to Seki Kaji Tosho list.

Daido is there with his family and personal name, but although I can read many Japanese names I am unsure how to read this properly...as you know there are two ways to pronounce Japanese "On" and Kun"...and many variations in the pronunciation of Kanji when used as names. His name looks like Higashidani Fujiyoshi...or? Only Moriyama san can be familiar with the Japanese names.

Regards

George.

Bruno,

Stephen is translating the meaning of the words DAI "great" DO "way". Daido can be read this way "On" reading (Chinese pronunciation) or OMICHI "Kun" reading (Japanese pronunciation). Daido also sounds like a religious phrase of Buddhism or a Buddhist priest name.

There were a number of swordsmiths of this name Daido in Shinto/Shinshinto times.

Perhaps your Gunto tosho chose the name for this reason.

George.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..