Verification help - gunto mei

Veli

Hi All!

I am not collecting showa-to, but a friend of mine has a couple of guntos which I had the opportunity to see recently. The owner did not know too much of the blades, so I tried to help him to find out the smiths/factories.

The first gunto was in a very good condition; The nakago also had a seki stamp. It had a clear (oil quenched) midare hamon, and - naturally- muji hada. The mei seemed straightforward to read: Fukuda Sukemitsu.

The second one was out of polish. The hamon was barely visible. The kissaki lacked yokote. The inscription was a long one, but luckily the owner had a romanization of the inscription: Jin mu fu satsu Taka yama to ro no den Tami fusa Saku.

I agree with this romanization, except that I think the smith is Ujifusa, not Tamifusa.

The phrase "Jinmu fusatsu" has been recently discussed on the NMB, so that is the clear part, as well as "Takayama to". But I totally fail to understand the meaning of the 8th to 10th kanji: 老 乃 田 ( ro no den (or oi no ta)) Old man's ricefield???

I'd be thankful if somebody has the time to educate an unexperienced member like myself!

BR, Veli

post-1060-14196769399482_thumb.jpg

post-1060-14196769400464_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..