Just got a NCO WWII bringback. I have a few questions.

briarfox

I just got my grandfathers WWII bring back. It does not have a scabbard. It appears to be an aluminum handle that was painted at one time. The guard has no design and is just round. I have a question about the blade. It is almost completely black. I appears to be smooth so I do not believe that there is rust. Should I try to get the back off the blade?

The blade is also loose. If I shake the sword I can feel the tang shaking back and forth. I was wondering if I should try and pull it apart. There is a screw holding the handle on.

Thanks

I've had a chance to examine the sword some more. The blade appears to be blued. It turns out that my grandfather cleaned the blade with naval Jelly. I'm guessing the acid in it may have had a bluing effect? So question is do I take some 0000 steel wool to it or leave it as is.

Also where were be a place to keep an eye out for a scabbard?

Briarfox, Please sign your name to your posts per forum rules. Handles are okay, but your name is required on the posts.

These NCO swords are classified as military sidearms more than swords. From a Nihonto standpoint, they're more like a "sword-like object". Naval Jelly doesn't leave the metal blued. Gun bluing will leave it blued though, and that sounds like something a grandpa might do. Well, at least mine might. :lol: Anyways, it might be best just to leave it as is.

I wouldn't fret too much or put a ton of effort into fixing anything. These types of swords can be had in complete and good condition for a few hundred bucks. I've never seen a scabbard for one offered seperately, but you can put an add on in the want section here for one. I'm not sure if these are a "one size/shape fits all" kind of sword either. Traditionally made blades have individual scabbards made for them, but one such as yours were machine made.

Thanks for the Heads up Ted. Well I got it apart and managed to fix the blade. It no longer is loose. I sware it looked blued but my grandpa says he never did it. So maybe its just badly tarnished.

I'll toss a thread up in the "want" section.

thanks again.

Hi Chris,

when you put your ad up, mention whether your scabbard catch hook comes out of the handle through the guard at the top of the blade or the side of the blade. From memory, the round iron guard sword catch hooks come through at the side. You will need to ask for the correct scabbard.

Regards,

George Trotter.

Hi Chris,

when you put your ad up, mention whether your scabbard catch hook comes out of the handle through the guard at the top of the blade or the side of the blade. From memory, the round iron guard sword catch hooks come through at the side. You will need to ask for the correct scabbard.

Regards,

George Trotter.

No, George, most NCOs with round iron guard are with catch hooks at the top. However, locks at the side are also possible, therefore Chris should check this before buying any scabbard. Plus, if to be more precise, Chris, check also under which arsenal your NCO was made - Tokyo or Nagoya - their scabbards differ a bit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..