First Post...New Sword Coming...Smith help needed and info

Greetings all,This is my first post and Id like to say this sight is simply awesome for anyone with interests in these fine swords.

I am slowly starting to get sucked in haha.

Well I recently purchased this nice sword signed by Yamaji Masahisa Showa 17 One day in August 1942

I found him in the back of Sloughs book "Modern Japanese Swordsmiths",and it says he is rated 1 million yen smith.But,this is all it says. Id like to learn more about the smith. And would like to hear some opinions on the sword as well.

I will post more images when the sword arrives.

Thank you all.

Regards,

Michael

2howpjc.jpg

5f44s1.jpg

236tua.jpg

28i1fs1.jpg

16itpog.jpg

5dms7d.jpg

15cij6f.jpg

Hi Michael,

Your sword looks good...appears to be above average from what I can see in the photos.

There is some confusion in the references given in Slough however.

The references in the back of Slough for Masahisa are TK572 (Toko Taikan) and Mas 231 (Hawley Revised)...both of these references are to a swordsmith of Osaka called Ikeda Masahisa. Your blade is signed by Yamachi (Yamaji) Masahisa.

In addition, your Masahisa seems to sign from a location that looks like Hyuga (first two characters...can Moriyama san confirm?). I have been unable to find him in any detail with a quick skim across my references, but will have a proper look soon. All I have found is that he appears on the WWII Swordsmith Ranking lists (Tosho Banzuke by Kurihara Hikosaburo) of 1942 supplied by Dr Jinsoo Kim. He is listed as Chu Saku (middle quality) under the name that appears on your sword Yamaji Masahisa.

So, while Slough refers to a different Masahisa...your sword is still good...it will just need a bit more research. Don't despair...I have a very good WWII gendaito blade signed Shigekuni and can find NOTHING on him....you at least have Masahis'a family name and ranking.

Welcome to swords and research.

Regards,

George Trotter

...... In addition, your Masahisa seems to sign from a location that looks like Hyuga (first two characters...can Moriyama san confirm?). ......

Your may be right. The first two characters look 日州 (Nisshu), which is equivalent to 日向國 (Hyuga no kuni).

日州住山地正久作 – Nisshu ju Yamaji Masahisa saku

Hello all,Thanks for so much for helping me out with this identification and information. These swords are quit interesting and such beautiful pieces. Once this new blade arrives i will have a field day in taking pictures to show you all. I really like the temper line on this one. Yet,again,thank you!!!! :bowdown:

Regards,

Michael Sweeney

let me just ask so I am a hundred percent positive what youve informed me. The maker in the Sloughes book is not the Yamaji Masahisa that signed made my blade,correct? Or is that him listed in there and rating of of 1 million yen and the other references wrong?

Also, how many levels of ratings are there. You say he is listed as a Middle Quality Smith.....what other levels are there?

Thanks for bearing with me fellas.

Michael,

You are correct...Your Yamaji Masahisa is not listed or illustrated in Slough. The Masahisa in the reference list at the back of Slough, when you look those two references up, are both to a maker named Ikeda Masahisa.

There are a number of knowledgeable people who made swordsmith ranking lists and some vary in their appreciation of a man's work so the list rankings don't always agree. The list I quoted from can be found on Rich Stein's Japanese Sword Index site. It has 7 rankings

Saijo saku which we westerners tend to call something like Superior Upper Make

Jojo Saku..........Upper Upper Make

Jo Saku ...........Upper Make

Chujo Saku .......Middle Upper Make

Chu Saku .........Middle Make

Chuge Saku......Middle Lower Make

Ge Saku...........Lower Make

Before you think wow...my guy is right down the list, just remember that most swords don't rate being on the list at all...this list only names a few hundred makers out of those making swords in that time and earlier.

Regards,

George

George thanks so much for the time to explain the rating and the correct smith info.

I cant wait to have the sword in hand to be able to see the quality in person. Thats good to know that atleast he does have a rateing on someones list,I mean just from the pictures ive seen I can tell its pretty darn good work. Cant wat to share images with you all,should arrive by saturday. Thanks again for your help !

Regards,

Michael

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..