Advice on a sword for a newbie.

Chopstick

Hi, I'm a new member and know next to nothing about Japanese Katanas but am eager to learn. I have read through some of the posts in this forum, which have left me with a generally good impression and am hoping I can get some help.

My first query as a member would be about what looks to me like a modern factory made sword which my dad obtained for me a few years ago.

I have taken a few pictures but do not really know how/what to identify on one of these swords. The blade is quite stained by both rust (or something similar to rust) which won't come off. I'd just like to know the basic value of the sword and whether is would be worth it to restore the blade and get it polished professionaly. As a 22 year old student I don't really have the financial means to be buying newer swords at the moment but plan to start collecting in future. Any identification/advice/help/corrections would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know which segments of the blade to photograph specifically in future.

GT Walus

post-1593-14196765596172_thumb.jpg

post-1593-1419676576456_thumb.jpg

post-1593-14196765765315_thumb.jpg

post-1593-14196765766538_thumb.jpg

post-1593-14196765768036_thumb.jpg

post-1593-14196766778115_thumb.jpg

post-1593-14196766778947_thumb.jpg

post-1593-14196766779557_thumb.jpg

post-1593-14196766781057_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I am sorry to tell you this sword is a poor quality copy of a Japanese sword. :?

You could see the other post to see the difference between a real handmade and a copy.

You should signed you post by your real name as requested by forum's rules...

Sebastien

Hi chopstick

first thing you will be asked to do by the Mods, is to sign your posts with your name or part of, it's the rules .

And sorry to say this but what you have is a Chinese fake ,see the links on the main page re fake swords and what to look for /sorry 100% fake :freak:

regards

ray

Hi,

In that case I guess it's be best not to restore the blade:)

Even if you want, a serious polisher will refused to do it.

I'll use it as a practice blade for now. Should make a good one since it weighs quite a bit.

Becareful these kind of blades are not made to be used, just to display.

Sebastien

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..