Need help with translation...

BTW, there's an old Japanese proverb that has pretty much the same meaning: 治に居て、乱を忘れず - chi ni ite, ran o wasurezu.

Guido,

How did you study so many things?

BTW, the Japanese proverb also has its origin in ancient China. There is the following phrase in Zhōu Yì (周易) in Zhōu (周) period (ca. 1046 B.C - 256 B.C.).

"治而不忘乱"

Guido,

How did you study so many things?

Well, in my free time ... ;) :lol:

But seriously, coming up with the classical Chinese origin of this Japanese saying, I should re-direct the question back to you - this is truly outstanding, and my hat is off to your uncanny ability to tackle the most elusive Japanese language matters!

Koichi, I think we should have a NMB Bônenkai or Shinnenkai - we don't need Rich to visit Japan to have a NMB gathering in Tôkyô once in a while, do we? We'll buy each other a straight Shôchû for every quote from the Chinese classics until we pass out :badgrin: !

Who's in, Tôkyô residents? And Erol, no oversea trips this time!

This has been an interesting stroll across several languages.

John Stuart, glad to see someone keeping up with the Latin. As for the Romans- the older I get, the more interesting I find them. It is unnerving how many of their structures still stand in Italy, and in Spain to a lesser extent.

Very interesting and informative discussion..thanks folks. :)

I think we should have a NMB Bônenkai or Shinnenkai

Make sure someone takes a few pics and posts them so we can put faces to the names...and keep a slot open in April sometime...I think I am taking my first visit to Japan then, with my gf and her parents. Bit of a tour through Japan...but I will be sure to spend a few days in Tokyo and do some study. Would love to meet up with a few of the members there. More info closer to the time...

Brian

" We'll buy each other a straight Shôchû for every quote from the Chinese classics until we pass out ! "

want to do my saya Chinese classical poem ? Think you need several cases of Shochu.

If anyone seriously want to take up that challenge, I will take pics inch by inch..............

milt Der wolf

Hi Guido, I love language puzzles, if they are not huge and too far above my level (first floor). I am curious about your Chinese translation of Vegetus' quote. Reading from left to right I see some of the characters I had used for the second half of the quote. I think in Mandarin 'Yubei zhang zheng,(Prepare (for) war), ? he ping.' (? peace.). I can not identify the 4th from left character. I would have thought 'xiwang' desire or 'xuyao' want, but it is not these. What is it? The pinyin I used for my characters was Cantonese where jin jhang is zhang zheng. The Cantonese yue bei requires 2 characters for 'prepare' but it seems in the Mandarin dialect one character is dropped but still said yubei. Anyhow, curious, thanks, John

But seriously, coming up with the classical Chinese origin of this Japanese saying, I should re-direct the question back to you - this is truly outstanding, and my hat is off to your uncanny ability to tackle the most elusive Japanese language matters!

Koichi, I think we should have a NMB Bônenkai or Shinnenkai - we don't need Rich to visit Japan to have a NMB gathering in Tôkyô once in a while, do we? We'll buy each other a straight Shôchû for every quote from the Chinese classics until we pass out :badgrin: !

Who's in, Tôkyô residents? And Erol, no oversea trips this time!

Hi Guido,

To tell the truth, I could not find anything without big helps of Google. ;)

NMB Bonenkai or Shinnenkai may be a good idea. I am always free.

Reading from left to right I see some of the characters I had used for the second half of the quote. I think in Mandarin 'Yubei zhang zheng,(Prepare (for) war), ? he ping.' (? peace.). I can not identify the 4th from left character. I would have thought 'xiwang' desire or 'xuyao' want, but it is not these. What is it? The pinyin I used for my characters was Cantonese where jin jhang is zhang zheng. The Cantonese yue bei requires 2 characters for 'prepare' but it seems in the Mandarin dialect one character is dropped but still said yubei. Anyhow, curious, thanks, John

和平為戦争備: Do you mean the fourth character from the *right*? That would be "wei" in Putonghua if I'm not mistaken.

As I said, I'm in no position to speak with authority when it comes to (classical) Chinese. I tried to make it look "kambunish", reading it in Japanese "wahei (no) tame [ni], sensô (ni) sona(eru)". However, since Koichi already provided the original Chinese quote 治而不忘乱, my own attempt at translating it becomes kind of moot :?.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..