original shin gunto or good replica

katsumoto

hello

i recently got offerd a nice shin gunto whit early war blade signed under the tsuka

but wanted to have a experts opinion before i buy this one

seppa`s and tsuba all marked 45 on the left side and 4 above the tang opening

oh the stuka`s rayskin became yellow of all the smoking the veteran did as he loved sigars

thanks again for the help

cheers

better pics of the signatures are comming

post-1578-14196765522983_thumb.jpg

post-1578-14196765524775_thumb.jpg

post-1578-14196765526038_thumb.jpg

post-1578-14196765527513_thumb.jpg

post-1578-14196765529441_thumb.jpg

Hello,

To me, this looks like a genuine good quality shin gunto. The blade, judging solely from the sori and the general shape and color of the nakago with the long mei, strikes me as being a Shinto period blade in good old polish. This is what I see but an in-hand examination might have a different result.

The tsuka-ito seems to be darkened towards the tsuba. This occurs from being held by the officer to keep it steady by his side and further indicates its authenticity.

William G.

... The blade, judging solely from the sori and the general shape and color of the nakago with the long mei, strikes me as being a Shinto period blade in good old polish. ...

The inscription on the nakago looks like a date in Showa era. :?:

Hi Katsumoto.

I agree with Moriyama san...it looks like the date Showa 18th year 9th month (Sept. 1943)...suppose we'll have to wait for better pics. About the yellow same...I think it may be yellow because it is celluloid (an early plastic). I have seen this occasionally, usually on good quality WWII gunto blades, including star stamped (gendaito) blades. I think it is quite rare possibly because it was probably more expensive? than real same, but was expected to be water resistant and less likely to damage. It tends to turn yellow with age.

Regards, George Trotter

Hello,

Better eyes than mine have discerned a showa era date on the nakago and , looking at it again, I must agree.

As for the seller swearing it is prewar, perhaps he believes that to be true. My neighbor's father had a sword in gunto mounts he obtained in occupied Japan . He believed it was made in the 1880's because one of Japanese workers he oversaw told him so. My examination of the sword showed it to be a 1943 showato from the workshop of Kanemichi of Seki. Very nice for what it was, but no antique.

This sword could still turn out to be a very nice Gendaito.

William G.

Hi,

I am very interested to see some pictures from the tsuka and the tang but also from the blade - because I own also a katana from Kanemichi from this period. And from my point of view - swords from Kanemichi are quite rare :?: Maybe I am wrong but I am sure you will answer me!! :) )

cheers

Klaus Schicker

REPLY TO: post by Klaus Schicker

Hello,

You may be confused, Herr Schicker. I know I am. There is no suggestion the blade being discussed is a Kanemichi. Nor can I help you with photos as I do not own one. I have, however, personally examined four Showa era blades with this signature. They all had a Showa stamp and so were factory blades but were of good quality. It is said Kanemichi forged true nihonto and when he did, he signed them Kanetoki.

William G.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..