Mantetsu with attribution

Joe Choi

Hello... Gunto lovers....

Just purchased this sword, havn't received it yet, did anyone seen one like this before?

This was first for me....

Koa Isshin Mantetsu but with a attribution on the other side, thanks to Nobody San, it was translated as 昭和壬午冬日 (Showa Mizunoe-Uma Tojitsu) – A winter day in 1942

鷹信焠之 (Takanobu kore o niragu) – Takanobu quenched this.

And his thought on it,

"Though I know little about WWII swords, I found some information about the writing.

Takanobu may be Suzuki Takanobu (鈴木鷹信) who appears in the linked article. He was a manager of Mantetsu in 1938.

Ref. http://www.k3.dion.ne.jp/~j-gunto/gunto_059.htm"

Thanks again for your help Koichi Moriyama san.

I think this is pretty rare sword, what do you guys think???

post-536-14196764691521_thumb.jpg

post-536-14196764693808_thumb.jpg

post-536-14196764695124_thumb.jpg

post-536-14196764695864_thumb.jpg

Joe,

Very interesting. You do come across the oddest stuff in guntos. :D I've seen whole lot of these and never seen one with this mei. I would call it a rare example. Is the sword bent at the nakago?? The shot of the nakago mune appears to show it. Perhaps a twist of light or angle, but it looks oddly canted.

Hi... Ted

Yeah, I do get the weird ones, it all started with Tsuka Hei, thanks to you and Carlos back in 2006. So anything weird / odd in Gunto's I'll try to get. So much mystery behind them.

I've been studying a lot but so far staying mostly in Gunto field, since I'm still not quite sure what to look for in Antique nihonto's, I think I have a Rai KuniMitsu Wakizashi in Shirasaya. :roll:

When I do receive the sword I'll have a closer look, it does look bit bent from the photo.

Thanks... Joe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..