Sword Polish Cream

pirates

I would stay away from this stuff as it is an abrasive unless you don't give a crap about your blade. :(

To be quite frank you should never use an abrasive on any nihonto, even a gendaito. On a blade that has minor scratches, this could ruin the complexion of the rest of the finish; restraint here is the best policy. On a blade that has rust problems, I would try Nev-R-Dull instead as it uses non-abrasive petroleum solvents.

For more serious problems, have a reputable polisher do the work.

DaveF.

Hi Pirates

Welcome to the forum. Like DaveF said stay away from such stuff. It is unlikely it will do any good.

Also from the Welcome Announcment at the top of the Nihonto forum

The rules are very simple.

·Please use any screen name you desire, but we ask that you provide at least your first name and initial, or initial and surname somewhere in your post. This can be by signing your posts, adding a signature in your profile or using it as your screen name.

Anyone who has a GOOD reason for not doing this is welcome to contact myself, and I will look at this on a case-by-case basis.

Nev-R-Dull is useful in those cases when rust makes it diffucult to evaluate a blade. I would not use it for a blade that is in polish or slightly out of polish. But it is helpful for lifting off the rust without abrasives. I received a blade that was brown with rust. In order to see if it was even worth polishing, I used Nev-R-Dull. It took a long time to remove the rust, and I used it in combination with normal choji/oil cleaning.

I can't recall who recommended it to me, but it was someone on

Nihonto Message Board. Nevertheless, not all of us have the option of buying juyo blades in polish. Some of us have to weigh carefully if we send a blade to a polisher. Many of us do not have $2000 just lying around to send to a polisher on a whim. For some of us using a non-abrasive, non-acidic rust remover can be helpful for us to enjoy or evaluate a less expensive blade to see if it is even worth sending to Shina or the polisher. A rusted blade will not only conceal the hamon but also any hagiri that may be present or deeper damage such as pitting.

Yeah, Nev-R-Dull can make your blade look like a gunto. But it also won't damage a blade if you decide later on to send it to a polisher.

DaveF.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..