Translation

Meanmonkey777

thank you for the insight. I am new at this. If we where talking gemstones I would just as concided. The one thing that has thrown me off is the other two swords I bought where found orignal, but did not have the ballance that this sword has. Grandted the art work could be improved. however the sword has this unique balance that no other sword that I have come in contact with has. even more odd the imperal lotus flower is placed exactly right where the right and left hands would grasp the sword if an individual was right handed. The WWII sword that I bought was confirmed to be orignal non Nco,probally a majors sword. The other is loose but has the faint cloud and high polish. I would of discarded this sword if it did fit and hold as well as it did. I grasped the three lotus on the top and three on the bottom and it was the direct center of gravity of the sword. Now being new, is this a comon trick in fake swords? :dunno:

not making fun of anyone, god knows we ALL make mistakes, but.............

the only thing that looks half way " authentic ' in the whole set up are the two seppa.

Don't know much about the " balance test " to authenticate Nihonto, but i guess they all feel sort of heavy in the hands.

milt THe Ronin

I trust your judgement. This was a sword that was bought in WA state from Japan. I usualy talke what I find to experects in that area. Wether it be a 128 cts plum star sapphire or a WWII hand crafted oil forged sword. The blade looked right on target. Going by the info provided. Now if the blades decoration is crap. That is good to know. The important part is the blade its self. They claimed it was oil forged, with a shark skin wrap. Even though they claimed it was gold, sliver and brass inlay with the sword. It held blanced. Now if it was off center I wouldnt put it on here. This is where I am runing into problems. Is this a smith, or crap. :?: :?:

Yep.... listen to Milt,

It is a fake chinese (probably) "crapper" as some of the guys like to call them. There are hundreds of them on ebay...... Not only the blade but also the fittings are very crude.

It certainly isn't Japanese...

Look at some of the links for commercial sites at the top of the page...

Look at some of the swords on Moses Becerra's site http://www.nihontoantiques.com

Look at the mei's and see how they are chisled, look at the intricate craftsmanship in the fittings and then look back at yours and you will see the obvious differences.

I understand where you are on this... a year ago I did not know the difference and basically could not tell my arse from my elbow with this stuff...

My first purchase was a book.... The Connessours Guide to Japanese Swords... Iy was a little heavy going for me for a beginner but I still learned quite a lot... I still use it and probably will for a long long time, so it was a good buy.

Surf all of the commercial site you see up there and compare swords and look at the decriptions.... you will soon learn to recognise the basics.... ask lots of questions on here... these guys are great and only too happy to help... and use this site..... it is brilliant... I expect some stuff will be above your head, but all of the basics are in there.... http://www.geocities.com/alchemyst/nihonto.htm

Cheers

yep, i also have a very big reserve/NO GO feeling about this seller....... this blade also is definetely etched and in a way "damascened".......

however no where as nice or as near as this truly damascened Roman gladius Hispaniensis....

we are just discovering in some Roman swords that pattern welding was indeed done, starting probably towards end of the first century AD.

gladiusprogclose10.20.05.jpg

KM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..