Would like some info (pictures included)

Hi. My uncle purchased the sword below from an antiques store, and we're very curious about it. The antiques dealer told him that a Japanese man had examined it and concluded from the engravings that it was made in 1938, and that the same was genuine eel skin. That's pretty much all we know about it, and any information regarding its history and/or value would be much appreciated.

cimg5146r.jpg

cimg5152t.jpg

cimg5153d.jpg

cimg5154.jpg

cimg5155.jpg

cimg5156l.jpg

cimg5157.jpg

cimg5158.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately you purchased a fake. Please see this link http://jssus.org/nkp/fake_japanese_swords.html and you may find a few that look familiar. I hope you didn't spend too much! :?

I find it very prudent - as a newbie - to run potential purchases by these guys. They have saved me thousands - and more than likely a divorce!

Well, fortunately (for me) I wasn't the one who bought it - it was my uncle, heh. I myself own a Hanwei Katana for decorative purposes. I assumed that what my uncle had bought would be very different since it was (as far as we understood) meant to be an ornamental accessory for a Japanese officer, not an accurate reproduction of an authentic katana. Is what you're saying, though, that even a ceremonial, decorative sword would look much more like the real thing? (I suppose that would make a lot of sense.) Thanks for the info, and assuming that it is a fake, I'm guessing we can estimate its value at aprox. 0?

How did a Japanese man misread Meiwa 15 for 1938? :shock:

(1938 is Showa 13. Meiji 15 is 1882)

The fake writing on the blade says Showa 15th year, which means 1940.

Anyway I suspect that the man really existed or not. :doubt:

How did a Japanese man misread Meiwa 15 for 1938? :shock:

(1938 is Showa 13. Meiji 15 is 1882)

The fake writing on the blade says Showa 15th year, which means 1940.

Anyway I suspect that the man really existed. :doubt:

Koichi san, I think you mean to say that you 'doubt' that the man really existed. If you 'suspect' that he existed, that means you think that he probably did exist.

How come I read that as Meiwa? nuts... :freak:

Gentlemen

I may be wrong about this but I believe that Showa 15 was considered to be the 2600th anniversary of the founding of the empire? I have seen many poor quality swords similar to this with the date etched onto the blade and think they were made as souvenirs for the general populace commemorating the anniversary. Of course, they are not real swords, more like toys, and were sold in department stores and the like, at the height of the patriotic wave. I once went on a 400 mile reurn trip and was presented with about 12 of these but managed to escape with wallet in tact!

Clive

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..