Emura vs. Nagamitsu (Ichihara)

All,

I have been looking at buying an Emura as of late, but I have a question. Is Emura a better smith than Nagamitsu? Also, Emura blades can't be confirmed whether Emura actually forged them or not. I have a VERY nice Nagamitsu that I paid less than $3,000 for but most of the Emura's I have seen are at or above $3K. Did I get a great deal on my Nagamitsu or is Emura actually that much better than Nagamitsu? Both are said to make, "Medium to High-Grade Gendaito" in Slough's, but I would be very interested to know the thoughts of the group. Thanks.

Hi Joe,

I have owned both Emura and Nagamitsu. I have also seen a number of Nagamitsu and Emura's in other hands.

My Emura was signed simply "Emura Saku" in sosho script and Nagamitsu was signed "Bizen Nagamitsu". In my opinion, based on what I observed, I would say Nagamitsu is a superior maker. His swords gave me a feeling of their strength, sharpness and reliability. Emura (mine) was a beautiful choji midare with ko-ashi...but did not give the feeling of reliability and strength. I don't know if this helps, but it is my opinion. If i had an opportunity to buy ether now, I would buy the Nagamitsu...of course, the blade quality itself must be what causes your final decision.

Regards, George Trotter.

I have owned numerous blades by both mentioned smiths, still have a few of each. IMHO they are of approximately equal quality and skill. Still for some reason Emura blades seem to bring more on the market (for reasons I don't pretend to understand).

Rich S

Hi guys,

Before I get to what I have to say, I want you all to know I'm not trying to make enemies (I have enough already) or ruffle feathers, and I'm glad you all collect what you do because I don't need more competition for what I collect, but I don't get it.

25 years ago when I first discovered Nihonto I could sell a gunto for $300. If it was signed "Nagamitsu" or "Emura" (didn't matter which; they were considered to be the same guy) I could sell it for $400, because of the story about him being a prison warden with a smith at the prison training the prisoners. The $100 premium wasn't due to quality; a gunto was a gunto. It was only because of the story.

Is the value really there? For $3,000. you can buy a papered, in polish wakizashi by a decent Shinto smith. You can buy a Sue-Koto katana. You're not even sure all of the blades signed Nagamitsu/Emura were made by one or 2 smiths; these things are so common (at least they used to be) that some of them might have been made by others. Is the quality really there?

Well, if nothing else maybe I've brought some excitement to the site. I've put the target on my back; feel free to open fire.

Grey

I'm not trying to make enemies

No enemies made here. We all collect what we like - I just happen to like WWII gendaito. I prefer the gunto mounts to most koshirae and can collect nice, but not as nice as some Nihonto (please read non-gendaito), blades at (in most cases) far less than high quality Nihonto. I can see my collection taking a different direction to more Nihonto once I can afford to drop up to $10K on a really nice blade.

Thanks for the feedback all. It sounds like most people aren't entirely sure why an Emura can cost so much. So is it everyone's opinion that, right or wrong, in the current market an Emura would be worth (or at least cost) more than a Nagamitsu, all factors equal (quality, papered/not papered, mounts, etc.)?

Loading my cannon at Grays back, :roll: its just because gendaito are not that old,...in one hundred years I'm certain they will be highly regarded by collectors and shinsa teams, not all, just the quality forged blades. I can just hear back in history folks talking Shinto blades.....dang young fools never be blades like they made them in old days

I have collected both. Top dollar for the Emura sold 3200, Nagamitsu sold for 4K to down under. If you had both side by side you would have said they were both by the same hand, I hope before I'm gone some hidden documents come to light to whom was working with who at the time. btw the workman ship on the Nagamitsu was rival to some blades by the Sukesada clan of old.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..