Mei removal

Guest Nagasa31

Guest Nagasa31

Hello all I have a mei that is gimei I would like to have it removed and them submit blade for papers, any idea whom offers this service? What one can expect nakago to look like after mei is removed? Thanks Yitzy

What one can expect nakago to look like after mei is removed?

Although I have not seen one in person, I have been led to believe that a well done mei removal by a qualified person, is almost unnoticeable. The patina is redone to the point that you should not be able to easily see that any work was done on the nakago at all. It just looks mumei.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Brian

Unless your sword has been pink slipped by at least two different

shinsa teams, don't have the mei removed. We all have stories of

swords being pronounced gimei, had the mei removed and then

shinsa attributing them to the same smith as the original mei. IMHO,

it's not something I would do.

Rich S

Almost always, the act of carving a mei displaces, (not removes) steel. Think of it as writing your name in the sand with your finger. Also, if you look at well preserved mei, you'll notice the raised edges along each stroke. Especially on newer pieces.

When done correctly, the mei is "filled in" using the steel around the strokes. If done correctly it looks none worse for the wear. Repatination usually follows to blend the patina. All in all, its a long, expensive, laborious process that should only be attempted by trained professionals.

As Rich S mentioned, it is a permenant proccess and even shinsa teams (albeit very rare) can make mistakes in judgement. Sometimes, if your blade is pinked because of gimei, the shinsa team will confirm who the true maker of the blade is. At that point, you can live with it, or if the blade is worth the removal of the gimei, go through with it (more often than not it isn't.)

Anything that screws around with the nakago should be avoided unless there's strong reason.

mike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..