Gunto Menuki positions

moss

Menuki that are positioned opposite to the normal wouldn't be for left handers. Left handedness in Japan is very uncommon, and menuki placement is not an indicator of an owners dominant hand.

Here is a good article to read regarding menuki placement;

http://www.una.edu/faculty/takeuchi/DrT ... cement.htm

Thanks for the link Ted,

I had come to the assumption that the mounts on this Gunto were for a left hander as even the press stud for the leather retention strap on the field scabbard is on the opposite side which I had assumed was to facilitate release from the saya for a left hander.

Is it totally improbable that the Japanese military would have enlisted soldiers particularily towards the end of the war that were left handed?

Many thanks for any help.

Moss

Well, sure it's possible that the IJA conscripted left handers, however few they might be. But I doubt seriously that the IJA made exceptions to the regulations regarding wear of sidearms for lefthanders. Remember a left hand draw would necessitate a right hip suspension. Doesn't seem likely. However, there *may* have been an exception for an amputee, which I would say is far more credible reason to be sensitive to personal requirement over military regulations.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..