Help with signature on tanto tang

alext

Help with signature.

Can anyone tell me the name of this smith? I've had this tanto for a few years now and am trying to pick up a few pieces of unfinished business now that I've retired. I would like to know something about the maker if possible.

Thanks,

alext

Edit Brian - re-uploaded the image and resized. 2592x1944 pixels originally! :o

post-225-14196734605211_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it.

Would you know how to determine which Kanesada this might be? For example, could there be a database showing the known signatures of other "kanesada" with their particular way of writing, or does one have to understand the particular characteristics of the blade and then attribute it to one man who crafted blades with those characteristics predominating?

alext

Hi Alex, Yes, there are references of signatures to help ID. Both methods should be used. It would make no sense for a signature that matches one you have found in a reference book to be on a sword that shows no characteristics of the school or smith the signature purports to be. This is a holistic approach to attributing your sword, and the fun bit. John

I agree with you John, this is a facinating subject. Several years ago, I saw a TV program (possibly PBS) about Japanese sword making. It reinacted the actual process including the smith wearing the traditional garmets, showing him using a forge and hammering and folding the steel over and over, applying clay, etc. The program indicated there was a ritual or ceremony associated with the crafting of the blade, each step being followed precisely according to the ceremony. It involved pouring water from a pot onto the metal (I believe) at various stages of the process and was very serious business. I have learned subsequently that the smith would darken the smithy and lock out everyone (especially women) when the quenching was to be done. I have always wanted to see that program again. I wonder if anyone in this forum knows about the film.

Then there is the whole subject polishing, furnishing- wow to me the high cost of these blades is a small thing when you consider what went into the making.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..