Translation help. Please.

Good day,

I'm a new member to the forum and would like to try and find out what is written on this kozuka blade. As preface, I've been an antique dealer for a number of years, dealing primarily with Japanese potteries and watercolors. A family friend with an elderly husband who collected edged weapons has asked me to sell a couple of things for them and one is a tanto with the name Kanefusa on the tang. With the tanto is a kozuka with writing on the blade. Now, I know just enough about the Japanese sword to be dangerous - to myself - and would like to see if I can get a reasonable guesstimation of the age of the piece or something to go on so I can offer the piece for a reasonable price to both the potential buyer and the lady and her husband. I'm doing this as a favor - without compensation - and I'm hoping, if the calligraphy can be read, that it might shed some light on the possible age of the piece, or value or whatever. If somebody can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

post-1482-14196762092103_thumb.jpg

Before someone steps in to do the translation, (and it will probably take some very clever detective work) there is a good chance that it is a saying or a piece of popular poetry extolling some aspect of the martial spirit, such as 忠節 chusetsu, loyalty to one's lord. Often the Kozuka has writing on it, but in general this does not lead to any ability to date it. It was often a fashion thing, and even if a name is included, Gimei are particularly common, I have heard.

Hello Piers,

Thank you for the input. I must admit that I've found this to be true in my research a number of the pottery pieces I collect, particularly chawan. Many I've not been able to get translated because of the style of writing or just the change of meaning over the years. In thinking about it, you are all too likely correct but part of my due diligence for my friends is to try. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you, again.

David

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..