Surrender Tag Translation

SwordGuyJoe

Here Tis

Kochi-shi, Johoku-cho 36

Army, Lieutenant Hideo UEDA

こうちしじょうほくちょう 36

りくぐんちゅうい うえだひでお

I should add that Kochi-shi is the name of a city in the island of Shikoku, and Johoku is the name of a section of Kochi-shi.

Steve M

• 2 weeks later...

If you are researching so you can try to return the sword to the UEDA family, you could start with the Kochi City Hall (maybe the board of education), or the Kochi Police Dept. (public safety section - the guys that handle sword registrations). Maybe they would be interested to try to track down this person's family. I was just reading about the kinds of gunto that are allowed so there is a chance that you couldn't repatriate it, I guess.

If you are just looking for info on UEDA-san, I don't know where you would start, but its kind of tricky because its not such ancient history. His relatives are no doubt still around, and if you get in contact with them, but aren't considering returning the sword... its kind of awkward. And of course, its not entirely implausible that UEDA-san himself is still alive.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..