Question on a WWII Japanese sword

Sparky

My name is Rob and I'm new to this board, so hello one and all :D .

I'm going to post this here, if it is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I recently acquired a sword and I'm trying to determine what it is that I have. I have been told that a father of a friend brought this sword home from the Japanese theater at the end of WWII. My friend does not know anything else about it. So that is my starting point in my quest to discover who this blade is.

I have gone to a web site http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm and determined it looks closest to a Army Kyu-gunto, but there are small differences. I'll post the pictures I have taken and if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it. Also I have not been able to get the Habaki off and did not want to force it. I also have looked the handle and blade over and could not find any numbers stamped into it that would show it was a production blade.

Thanks,

Rob E.

FreeSword10.jpg

Freesword5.jpg

Tuska2.jpg

Tuska1.jpg

I'd have to say this is an older blade in newer mounts just based on the number of holes in the tang ,how far the "blood groove" extends down into the tang and the mei (if there ever was one) has been lost due to shortening of this sword(which leads me to believe "MACHI-OKURI"). How long is the ha?(sharp edge)

Hi Rob,

Definitely an older blade, shortened more than once, and mounted for WWII. No one will be able to tell you much from the pix; it needs to be seen by someone who knows Nihonto.

In the mean time, make sure you're up on sword care and etiquette (look to links above) so it doesn't suffer damage.

Grey

Try and wipe it down with light machine oil, and don't use anything abrasive on it at all.

Yes, an earlier blade taken to war. Can't see condition from the pics, but hopefully the hamon is complete and there are no cracks or chips.

Must say, I am rather partial to blades with well cut grooves running through the tang :)

Brian

This is likely an 1875-1866 pattern Kyu-Gunto with an older blade as stated before. Do you have any pics of the backstrap? (The metal on the top of the handle) as any decoration here may indicate whether it was an officers sword. The scabbard isnt correct, unless there is metal under the brown and the wrap as they were usually metal and either chrome polished or covered with leather.

These were used by the Japanese in the war against the Russians in 1904-05 and then in WW2 as many officers preferred the shape to the 1934 pattern. This may have been one of those but the blade is definitely older than that.

Great looking old sword. I had one in these same mounts, that turned out to be one of the best looking swords I have ever had.

I still have the metal saya that went with it, if someday you want to have a full koshirae to set with it. I don't need it for anything. Likely may not fit, but you never know.

I would say a very old sword though. Looks good.

Mark G

This is likely an 1875-1866 pattern Kyu-Gunto with an older blade as stated before. Do you have any pics of the backstrap? (The metal on the top of the handle) as any decoration here may indicate whether it was an officers sword. The scabbard isnt correct, unless there is metal under the brown and the wrap as they were usually metal and either chrome polished or covered with leather.

These were used by the Japanese in the war against the Russians in 1904-05 and then in WW2 as many officers preferred the shape to the 1934 pattern. This may have been one of those but the blade is definitely older than that.

Sorry it took so long, work got busy :D

Thanks

Rob E.

brasshandle5.jpg

Great looking old sword. I had one in these same mounts, that turned out to be one of the best looking swords I have ever had.

I still have the metal saya that went with it, if someday you want to have a full koshirae to set with it. I don't need it for anything. Likely may not fit, but you never know.

I would say a very old sword though. Looks good.

Mark G

Mark,

I'm new at this and I'm not sure what a koshirae is :?

I am definatelly enthralled with this sword. Just thinking about its history blows my mind!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..